When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold Plating on watches

Jaymoi

I was thinking of buying this watch: http://perfect-clones.com/product_info.php...products_id=528

However i am not very educated on gold plating on watches.

Does it last? Does it rub-off? I once had a bracelet that was coated on 5mills of gold (don't even ask why i owned this piece of crap) and before long i started seeing the true metal coming through. Will this happen to the watch also?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

Jaymoi.

P.S. Also have another question but i'll post it seperatly as its on another subject.

does ebay sell solid 18K bands with correct markings?

Regarding President bracelets, yes, I believe they were on eBay quite recently in the $2K range.

The bracelet will get the most wear but the watch head will see wear also and likely may need re-plating.

Guest Watchandpen
I was thinking of buying this watch: http://perfect-clones.com/product_info.php...products_id=528

However i am not very educated on gold plating on watches.

Does it last? Does it rub-off? I once had a bracelet that was coated on 5mills of gold (don't even ask why i owned this piece of crap) and before long i started seeing the true metal coming through. Will this happen to the watch also?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks!

Jaymoi.

P.S. Also have another question but i'll post it seperatly as its on another subject.

I have sent pens and watches for goldplating - both yellow and rose - to Sharon at GT Electroplating (in the UK). She is outstanding and will re-do a job if the (in the case of rose gold) is not the right shade. Check her out: http://www.gtelectroplating.co.uk/index.htm :thumbsupsmileyanim::D

Guest Watchandpen

PS: I bought 2 PAM147s from Joshua and had them replated in a coppery rose gold by Sharon and they now have a nice antiquated patina. She also replated the buckles - without removing the straps (which had small screw with shallow threads that made them very difficult to remove, so I didn't). Hope this helps. :lol:

You can electroplate DIY. 4 microns plating will last more than any of us.

Does salt water effect gold plating the same way sweat does?

I think so.

Plated reps can be a lottery. It will one day wear off depending how much you wear it.