When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about AR and dial color

mezzanine

I'm interested in learning how the color of the dial on a watch influences the visibility of AR on it's crystal...or more precisely, how the dial color influences the invisibility of crystals that are AR'd.

For example, I am interested in purchasing a Breitling Steelfish SuperOcean, which is available in three colors. I've read that the white-dialed version does not 'require' or 'show' the AR on it's crystal to the same degree that the solid-colored dials do (black and blue).

I figure that the same might be true of the white-dialed VCO vs. the black-dialed version or an Ingy.

Is it worth it to buy a white-dialed watch with AR, if there is a cheaper version that doesn't have it?

I've heard a couple of people who have the white-dialed asian SFSO say that they don't really miss having the ETA version with the coated crystal.

I'm guessing that crystal shape may be a factor...where a flat crystal like the one on the VCO may benefit more from AR than a domed crystal, like the one on the Steelfish.

Any feedback from those who have the experience or watches to be able to make an informed comment would be appreciated...

Edited by mezzanine

I'm interested in learning how the color of the dial on a watch influences the visibility of AR on it's crystal...or more precisely, how the dial color influences the invisibility of crystals that are AR'd.

For example, I am interested in purchasing a Breitling Steelfish SuperOcean, which is available in three colors. I've read that the white-dialed version does not 'require' or 'show' the AR on it's crystal to the same degree that the solid-colored dials do (black and blue).

I figure that the same might be true of the white-dialed VCO vs. the black-dialed version or an Ingy.

Is it worth it to buy a white-dialed watch with AR, if there is a cheaper version that doesn't have it?

I've heard a couple of people who have the white-dialed asian SFSO say that they don't really miss having the ETA version with the coated crystal.

I'm guessing that crystal shape may be a factor...where a flat crystal like the one on the VCO may benefit more from AR than a domed crystal, like the one on the Steelfish.

Any feedback from those who have the experience or watches to be able to make an informed comment would be appreciated...

My white dial VCO with double AR is my favorite watch that I've coated. On my black dial watches, the AR also looks great, but is more of a nuisance. The reason for this is two fold. One, the bluish tint is less apparent over a white dial. Two, smudges on the crystal do not show as easily over white dials. Think of a black car, if you've ever owned one... They're a bear to keep clean and you see every spec of dust. Well, on my black dial watches with double AR, I find that I'm cleaning the crystals far more often for this reason, while on my white dial VCO, I hardly ever notice the smudges.

Thanks for the input Chieftang-

I'm on the fence as to which dial colour I want to go with, as far as my pending SFSO purchase. I've heard a few people say that the asian version of the watch, if you're getting the white dial, doesn't 'show' the effect of the AR in the same way that the coloured dials do.

That has me wondering whether I should go with the blue/black, being that AR is one of my favourite aspects of the super-reps, and one of the major reasons I would ante up the $200 for the price difference between the asian and ETA.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds as though the white dials DO carry the effect of the AR, but just don't have the same level of natural glare or reflectivity...?

darker dials (black and blue) will show off reflections much more than a white dial. my suggestion is if you went with the asian, which is $135 shipped you should definitely go with the white dial. if you really want the black or blue i would highly suggest to go with the swiss version. i just received an asian with white dial and the reflections arent bad at all....and im pretty anal about AR coating. for a little more than $100 i think its the best rep available....for the money.

Interesting- thanks man.

I'm still torn. I figure that the white dial probably still shows the effect of the AR, as Chieftang said. But it sounds as though it isn't the best value to go with the white version ETA. Considering I'd be paying a lot of money essentially exclusively for the AR (although the ETA is nice, obviously) I wonder whether it's necessary to pony up the extra $200 if I want the white one...

If you're a stickler for AR like I am, and the asian white-dialed version doesn't bug you without it, then it causes me to think I'm better off going with the darker dial if I'm after the AR'd ETA version...

I've got a Cousteau that is a blue dial on a blue rubber strap, as well as a HBB, which is a black dial on a black rubber strap...and that's what had me thinking I'd be filling a niche if I went with the white one. The white one appealed to me because it seemed to show the concentric circles the best....ugh, decisions decision...stress!

i could be wrong but i think the general rule is if the watch has little or low ar, white dials would be best.. or something like that

here's a new acquisition and I don't know if it has AR (doubt it) but it is so unbelievably clear irl that in my opinion.. it doesn't need any.. maybe the dial plays a factor who knows.. but seriously, the presence or lack thereof of AR doesn't effect the impact this watch makes at all

298610-280.jpg

:huh: