When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1016 dial

stilty

I found this dial in some parts that I have. I forgot that I had it. I picked it up about 3-4 years ago, maybe longer. I remember my original intention was to put it in a zeno explorer... don't ask me why? the world of frankens and modding was all new to me then.

Anyway, to me, the dial looks good, but figured I would ask some other opinions. Dial is definately aftermarket, no marking on the back side, but the feet are set for 1570 movement, diameter and thickness are gen specs, markers do not glow, flat finish.. I'm thinking of using this in a franken project, but would like some feedback before I begin.

Any major flaws you see? distorition is from my crappy photo skills.

299316-3422.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, compared to this pic of a gen, I think my dial looks pretty good and is useful. Only thing I see that is a problem is how Officially Certified is lined up below Superlative Chronometer. It is slightly off, and the font looks a bit different.

1016dialmt3.jpg1509726_7494.jpg

Now I could use some opinion on what to do about having this relumed. I'll obviously get fellow Canadian The Zigmeister to work his magic, but what should I do?

This dial does not glow at all. the markers are just paint. Do I go for the aged vintage look as above? Or should I go for the fresh from the Rolex Service Center look with SL paint, on the dial and hands. Personally, I'm leaning more towards the fresh look, with polished case, new tube, new crown, fresh dial and hands.

Where I need some help, and hopefully some of you may have some reference photos you could share. They don't have to be 1016 dials, but any vintage dial that has been replaced by RSC. I have found a couple of shots of RSC replacement dials, but one is white paint, and the other looks aged. Both are said to be RSC replacement dials. I also notice that one is printed SWISS, while the other still has the SWISS - T <25. Both hands appear to be white. I appreciate all feedback. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

red1680replacementdialaw7.jpgface1xr8qm8.jpg