When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Excuse

freddy333

Every watch collector, whether gen or rep, should have an ultrasonic cleaner. They are as important as a good set of tweezers and can be had for as little as $40. No amount of hand washing with toothbrushes, microfiber clothes or special cleaning compounds can possibly get your metal bracelets, jewelry and disassembled watch parts as clean. 1 tablespoon of pure ammonia (available from most grocers and druggists) added to a tank of hot tap water will remove all of the grease & grime that hides within your steel bracelet. You will be surprised how much gunk ends up in the bottom of the tank after treating a bracelet you have already cleaned by hand.

Unless you are a watchmaker/jeweler and need to clean large numbers of parts, an ultrasonic cleaning machine (like this one) should be your next purchase

302736-1344.jpg

Here is a link for more info

but somehow i really doubt putting a rep in there is a good idea. It would defiantly break the seal and F your rep.

Hi,

of course you never want to do that. I recently talked to a jeweler where I had my genuine SMP professionally cleaned.

She told me that they only clean steel bracelets with an ultrasonic cleaning machine. The case itself is cleaned by hand.

And even if you have a waterproofed watch, the ultrasonic bath will simply wash away the grease of the gaskets.

However, some of those cleaners come with a little watch holder which keeps the case out of the fluid.

Moppel

For those of you who missed the BOLD print -- NEVER put an assembled or running watch into an ultrasonic cleaner. Only the metal bracelet or the DISASSEMBLED watch parts should be cleaned this way. Some ultrasonic cleaners provide a stand that allows you to lower the metal bracelet into the tank while keeping the watch case above the level of the cleaning solution. But if you do not have one of these, I would recommend removing the bracelet from the watch case and clean it separately. Better safe than sorry.

If your watch has recently been pressure tested (and is waterproof at sea level), you can follow Rolex's standard cleaning recommendations of using warm (not hot) soapy water to clean the entire watch. However, if you are not positive of your watch's condition, try Windex and a soft paper towel like Viva. Just a light spray (DO NOT SOAK THE WATCH) followed by a prompt wipe with the paper towel should clean the watch. For general fingerprints and dust, a microfiber cloth made for stainless steel (available at many hardware stores and online) will do the job.

Freddy it was too late. Too late. You owe me for ten Panerais and ten soaked straps.

goarmani: How much fo the girl? I'm in Lakeland.

Polk County?! Would I take a time machine or a car to get there? ;)

Not for sale...yet. I always tell her when she turns 40, I'm trading her in on two 20 year olds. :D

Edited by gioarmani