When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Tudor Project

predfan2001

Ok, this project is a total fantasy watch (and I'm on a budget for this one), but after several missed attempts go get a Tudor Submariner dial for a MBW, I have given up. I ended up with a Tudor Hydronaut dial. A used Hydronaut dial is almost totally useless unless you have a Hydronaut needing dial. Granted this watch will be totally bogus, but it will look pretty neat and won't cost much to build.

My plan is to start with an ETA vintage Submariner, install a modified Tudor dial and snowflake hands. I have a couple rep cases and the dial is a good fit. See what you think. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Here's the starting point:

305941-246.jpg

Here's the dial. All of the markers will be removed (they come off easily) and replaced with larger ones. A marker will be placed over the date window to make the dial a "nodate".

305941-247.jpg

After some vintaging, cg mods and the snowflake hands, here's the result (except mine will be a vintage Hydro, not a Sub):

305941-248.jpg

Total investment around $250.00 when all is said and done (not counting shipping for the parts)

Revision: After it was brought to my attension that I shouldn't modify a "Prince Date" into a "Nodate" model, maybe it will be more like this:

305941-249.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

I have new snowflake tudor hands.

you just have to get the military tudor dial and you will get a very nice tudor.

I also have the best aftermarket inserts for rolex 1680, 5513, tudor submariner.

If you are planning to do a vintage submariner tudor search the tropic 125.

Ok, I was just advised not to make a "Prince Date" dial and "No-date" dial by my girl friend (how did I miss that-just shoot me). I guess I'll order a 1680 Red Submariner rep and use my Sandoz date wheel to give it that Tudor look.

I just have no luck aquiring nodates. And I especially hate to tell her she's right....dang it!!! :yuk:

Predfan,

Here's an option for you, I know this is a date model dial but it is a gen Tudor and a deal.

that dial says 16.3 mm? typo?

I've always wanted to make a tudor watch too but most dials are 26 mm....I thought rep cases always needed larger dials....like 28-29 mm. So a vintage rolex case will fit 26 mm dials?

TIA

bosk

that dial says 16.3 mm? typo?

I've always wanted to make a tudor watch too but most dials are 26 mm....I thought rep cases always needed larger dials....like 28-29 mm. So a vintage rolex case will fit 26 mm dials?

TIA

bosk

Most of the typical Submariner replicas have a 27mm-27.5mm dial. A genuine Rolex Submariner dial (26mm) will fit in a MBW only (at least that's what I've read here). The Tudor dial I have is 27mm so it will fit.

BTW..I changed my mind. The dial is going into a modern Sub rep I have. I'll post pics soon.

Edited by predfan2001