When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seamaster Transplant

scotty

Hi all. Remember - be nice !

Open question to the experts. I have a blue mid size SMP from 1997 - gift at the time. Unfortunately with the change in my tastes, I find it just too small now, so it gets no wrist time. This is a shame since it was a present from my loved one.

I since bought a gen black face full size SMP, and have a few reps.

However in her honour I'd like to be able to wear the blue SMP, but it's just too small.

I was wondering if a transplant of the movement to either a full size gen case and bracelet (plus all the bits) was possible, or if not to a full rep 'skin' but to the best possible condition. That way I'd have the heart of what she gave me, but in something more pleasing wrist wise.

Checked with Omega and they said they don't do, but not possible anyway as the movement wouldn't fit the bigger case.

So - any thoughts on this??

Checked with Omega and they said they don't do, but not possible anyway as the movement wouldn't fit the bigger case.

Well, not to seem obvious, but isn't that your answer? I'd think the Omega folks would know best. They're basically telling you the movement is a different size, not just the case. I've worn a mid-size Omega before. It's a smart watch. I understand the size problem -- the AD I spoke to actually told me I'd probably regret buying a mid-size over a full-size -- but it still works as a nice dress watch and fits a little better under a shirt cuff.

Leave the gen alone! Sell it if you don't really like it. Alot of parents will buy those midsized watches for their teenagers. As to your transplant are you going from Asian 21J to Gen or ETA? If this is true it might not work because the movement sits differently in the case so you could really open up a pandora's box. If you are going from the new 28.8 eta asian clone you might be OK. Hope that helps.

thanks gents.

I'd hoped that a full case could be modded to hold a mid sized movement. However I guess also the distance between the cannon pin and the datewheel would be different to a full size, meaning the date wouldn't sit in the window properly.

So I'm gonna hunt for a good rep, or a deal on a second hand gen.

Cheers anyway