When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

unable to take links out of new Aquaracer

World Traveller

I know this is a dull topic but I am truly stuck here. I bought the new Aquaracer Chrono and have been unable to resize the links. I took it to two small watch shops neither could take the links out and I used the tool in this ebay auction and it only gets the link about 1/3rd out and then it stops and even with pliars I can't get a link out at that point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=006

It's so frustrating to have a new watch and not be able to wear it due to too many links! any advice is greatly appreciated. I followed suggestions on the board, I think the way to do it is to get a tool that has a longer pin to push the pin all the way through. I'm hesitant to go that route though because I am concerned I would not be able to get the pin back into the bracelet since it is so difficult to remove it in the first place.

It is a real catch 22, because it seems that small watch shops don't have the tool to get Tag Heuer bracelets apart and I think it is a bad idea to bring a rep into an AD.

I'm thinking of buying this tool but again I'm worried about getting the links back in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCH-LINK-REMOVER-BAR...3QQcmdZViewItem

I'm also considering buying a genuine bracelet like this one, anybody done this to their Aquaracer, do they think it is worth the money?

http://www.watchbands.com/ProductInfo.aspx...oductid,,BA0815

Does anyone know a good watch store in the Washington, DC area that can do this...? Thanks guys.

Don't think those screw tools are much good in this case.

Got mine adjusted by my watchsmith free of charge. He used a rubber block holder, hammer and long pointy metal thing :D although he did remark it was not a particularly easy job as the links are extremely well put together, as in 'solid'.

Good luck finding someone local, surely a better option than getting the gen, which you'll only have to get resized anyway ;)

The saga of the watch band is over for now. Using 'brute force' method of link removal involving a watch link remover and pliers I was able to get the pins out and remove the links. The watch is great, I'll post some pictures of it in the daylight tomorrow.

If anyone knows a good watchsmith in the DC area or even just anywhere period let me know, the ones I visited from looking in the yellow pages were terrible.

Edited by World Traveller

The saga of the watch band is over for now. Using 'brute force' method of link removal involving a watch link remover and pliers I was able to get the pins out and remove the links. The watch is great, I'll post some pictures of it in the daylight tomorrow.

If anyone knows a good watchsmith in the DC area or even just anywhere period let me know, the ones I visited from looking in the yellow pages were terrible.

Hello,

I have a great guy that I go to in NoVa (Herdon to be specific). He has no issues working on reps. He has serviced 2 of mine thus far (with ETA's) and his work is great and prices are fair. PM me if you would like some info.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an AquaRacer Day/Date on order... Will need to re-size as well.. :(

Probably. I got this for my Heuers and it's perfect for $6:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...em=120163156294

Use the link remover to get the pin out a bit (so you don't scratch the case), then use the cebtre-punch thingy and a hammer and tap it the rest of the way. Then hammer it back in when you're done sizing.

I have an AquaRacer Day/Date on order... Will need to re-size as well.. :(

It probably won't be that hard for you, I'm a newbie at this stuff, so I'm sure a more experienced watch person wouldn't have had as much trouble as I did, I think that this watch is a bit more difficult than most though, the Rolex I have were so easy to adjust, took 10 seconds and no ridiculous amount of force needed to adjust.

Yes, the Aquaracer Chronograph has the toughest link pins to remove. The Tag Heuer Carrera use to be the hardest and now the Aquaracer Chronograph has garnered this dubious award!! I have both watches and it is possible to remove the links yourself but you need the proper watch link removal tool (see the attached link):

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATCH-BAND-LINK-PIN-AD...1QQcmdZViewItem

If link above does not work enter item number 320160015170 in e-bay advance search.

If you look at the pictures of this link remover on e-bay it is very different from the ordinary link remover. This link remover has 3 interchangable pins that fit into the end of the remover. Again, in the picture you will see that one of the pins is much longer than the other 2. This longer pin is the one that need to be used for the Carrera and Aquaracer link pins. This longer tool works with no problem on the Carrera pins and when you have inserted the long pin as far as it will screw in you can remove the pin by hand. In the case of the Aquaracer, the longest pin is still not long enough to push all of the pin out of the link but it is far enough that it can be easily pulled out with a pair of pliers without damaging the link pins.

Trust me, buy this link pin remover, it is far superior to the other ones on e-bay and well worth the few dollars!!

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare