When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Champions League/Premier League 2007/2008

Everythingape

BTW, was that a TAG Heuer Microtimer I saw on Rafael Benitez' arm?

tagheuermicrotimerthumbmg2.jpg

One of the very few digital watches I really fancy. :)

Edit: Found this little list online:

George Clooney - Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph

Maria Sharapova - TAG Heuer Formula 1 sparkling

Roger Federer - Rolex Datejust

Sven Goran Eriksson - Rolex Daytona (steel)

Jose Mourinho - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore

John Terry - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore

Rafa Benitez - TAG Heuer Microtimer

Steven Gerrard - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Polaris (Limited Edition)

Alex Curran - Rolex Daytona (steel)

Peter Crouch - Rolex Daytona (steel)

Wayne Rooney - Jacob & Co

Phil Mickleson - Rolex Cellini and Submariner 50th Anniversary (Green Bezel)

Darren Clarke - Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore

Kevin Spacey - IWC Da Vinci

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great result for Chelsea.

We are back and will be challenging again.

6-0 and back to our best.

Thought Liverpool looked toothless, take Gerrard (the man who signed for Chelsea and then asked for the contract to be ripped up....Chelsea obliged) away and there's no fire power. El Ni

It's a shame, but I saw Xabi's injury confirmed on sky sports just now. And Torres is on the books again too. None of the two were impressive today (maybe played a bit too early?), Torres just seems so lost with his back to the goal. I agree you need a deadly, slice-through striker. If you're connected at all, suggest Erik Huseklepp from Brann Bergen for a right winger!
You're right, I think both Spaniards were rushed back for this important game. Not a mistake I don't think you just never know how healed injuries will respond to first competitive matches. Torres will be fine but Xabi is a big big blow :( One of my favourite players, so cultured so classy. I admit I do have connections (although it's all 'priority members' now aka ex-shareholders) but our scouting network is equal to yours and there's no way I'd presume to suggest some 23-year old Norwegian. We have enough talent in the U-21 area, and even though Pennant is also out for 10 weeks, there's plenty of South American, Austrian and yes, Scandinavian talent waiting in the wings ;)

I've read a bit on the Liverpool forums the last few days. (ammo for watching the game with my 'pool-supporting mates), and I see a rising critique of Rafa's favouring the 'work-horse' players. You having norwegian connections might know it; here in norway we all think Riise is seen as a demi-god in Liverpool.. ..he's obviously not.
It's not rising, it's been there a while. We all love JAR to bits, even though we know he's a bit of a w*nker off the field, but he's practically an honorary Scouser and would die for the club. BUT it's become obvious over the past season that we have moved on and he just doesn't cut it anymore. We have better LBs (Arbeloa, Aurelio) and better LMs (Aurelio, Babel) and although he still has a fearsome left foot (I'm sure Emmzy still has nightmares over it :D) his rare screamers just don't warrant a place in the team. His leaving in January (which he will) will be a sad day. Painful but necessary. I can only hope the other 'workhorse' is similarly despatched....a view that is unpopular but growing in support....and Kuyt is sold to Newcastle or Villa, teams that are more fitting for his (ahem) "skills". Buy Anelka and put Babel upfront and all will be well.

We are developing a problem at the Grove too.. We have a very sour Lemon (Lehmann) and a Diarra voicing out against Wenger not playing them. Why can't more players be like Gilberto Silva? ..take it as an indication that there are people better than you right now, and strive to get back in the loop.
I agree. It's only Crouch that's whingeing and stalling on his contract, not the Liverpool way which is why the arrogant beanpole is getting treated like he is right now. I have a lot of time for Arsenal, but the whingeing mentality that stems from Wenger is not something I like. Lehmann should take a leaf out of Dudek's book. He was the Istanbul hero, and two months later he lost his job to a young Spaniard. He did have a pop at Rafa initially, but then admitted Reina was the better keeper and vowed to regain his place. It never happened but he acted like a gent, will always be loved and got his 'reward' with a No.2 slot at Real Madrid. The other example is young Danny Agger, another of my favourites. I know this as fact - Rafa wanted to try out a different formation one match last season, and went to explain to the in-form Dane why he was dropping him. Agger interrupted him saying Rafa didn't need to explain anything, but that he'd just be ready for the next match if selected. Now that's a great 'team' attitude.

Must be tough being a Liverpool supporter....all that history, ancient history.

Win the league and then start to crow......how many years is it now?

:rolleyes:

Yeah really tough. Two Champions League finals in three years, both at your expense.

Better 'ancient' history (2005, 2007? :huh:) than no history.

18 League titles, 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 7 FA Cups, 3 European Super Cups, 7 League Cups.

And yes, it's been 17 years now waiting for No. 19 but I'm betting it doesn't make it to 20 years, so I think your record of going 55 years without a win is fairly safe.

:rolleyes:

Yeah really tough. Two Champions League finals in three years, both at your expense.

Better 'ancient' history (2005, 2007? :huh:) than no history.

18 League titles, 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 7 FA Cups, 3 European Super Cups, 7 League Cups.

And yes, it's been 17 years now waiting for No. 19 but I'm betting it doesn't make it to 20 years, so I think your record of going 55 years without a win is fairly safe.

The main fact is that I have lived to see those years, were you even out of nappies 17 years ago? Winning the league is the true test, that's why we were a failure last year....2 cups isn't enough for a great team.

Edited by Emmzy

The main fact is that I have lived to see those years, were you even out of nappies 17 years ago? Winning the league is the true test, that's why we were a failure last year....2 cups isn't enough for a great team.
So have I. I first went (ok I was 5 so I was 'taken') to Anfield the same year I started school which was the same year King Kenny arrived ;) Season ticket/family shareholder from then on, every match up until I left home for university. Even during the dark days (Souness era) I made it as often as I could. But back to the 70s and 80s - talk about spoilt - European Cups seemingly every year, league titles taken for granted etc. You'll never know what that's like, so please don't talk about Chelsea as a "great team". There's a very good reason you weren't invited to be a founder member of G14, although I hear they're letting anyone in these days :p

Where's DBR?

Oh I'm here all right :1a: just back from my local after a few :drunk:

Liverpool 8 Besiktas 0 (yes folks that is EIGHT!!!!)

Anything you can do, we can do better eh Ape? ;)

Headline I like most is "Liverpool record the biggest win in Champions League history!"

Seems once again, we need to have the added pressure to perform well. I refuse to get too carried away though as we still really need to win remaining two matches first, but this could well be a turning point for our season. It feels almost cathartic after the last few weeks of criticism. Should shut the bloody media up although they're still banging on about Crouch (who always does well against weaker opposition). Babel starting to gain confidence, watch out for this boy he will be HUGE.

p.s. Xabi was one of the studio pundits here, couldn't hear much but he had a big smile on his face, and was fiddling with/proudly showing off the same PAM93 on OEM honey 'gator I saw the other week - top man! :D

:yawn:

Bet Schalke don't need to get little plastic flags out tonight to create an "atmosphere" :rolleyes:. Oh and I'm sure they won't have 25,000 empty seats either :lol:

Here's something to shut you up - come back and crow when you can equal it ok? Unfortunately for you, UEFA don't make one with a big fat ZERO on it :p

(sorry Ape, don't look! not for your eyes :D)

picture21sl6.png

• 1 month later...

Got into a yet another discussion about club spending with a Liverpool-supporting mate this weekend, and I finally found some summed up documentation:

Premier League 'Top 5' spending since 1992

A little caveat about the accuracy of the numbers, ..But I'm not going to check them, of course. ;)

A tight fisted bunch, Arsenal!

PS: Sorry about the heading, DBR. :D

The draw is in:

Celtic - Barcelona

Lyon - Manchester Utd

Schalke 04 - Porto

Liverpool - Inter Milan

Roma - Real Madrid

Arsenal - AC Milan

Olympiakos - Chelsea

Fenerbahce - Sevilla

Tough but managable draw for Arsenal. Milan's #11 in Italy now, 22 points behind Inter. ..struggling a little, but with 3 or 4 games less played than the others.

Liverpool's meeting a steaming Inter, they're doing very well in Serie A so far.. But the scousers aren't known for being an easy opponent in the CL..

Chelsea should be fairly happy with the greeks. Celtic up against Barcelona, ..people will expect Los Azulgrana to come out on top. ;)

All fun when the league starts again in february. :)

• 2 months later...
What a great final it will be........

Chelsea v Man Utd

Can't wait.

It will complete a famous double for the boys from the Bridge.

Granted Roman managed to bribe an easy quarter final tie for you guys............

....................but you've gotta get past the semi's first...........and there's no 12th man at the bridge (there's barely 12 supporters in the stadium!)