When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I repair or minimize scratches in a dial?

speedy1

So my 12 year old daughter has been on the swim team this year. She thinks she can beat the old man at diving in swimming across the pool. :3a:

So I kick off my flip flops, take off the shirt, and place my 27 on the small drink table and prepare to dive in, wearing cargo shorts no less!

I get out after a few runs (the little 12 year old chick is pretty quick after all) I put on the shirt and look for the watch................uh oh.

I see my two year old over at the low wall rock ledge, smashing ants, with some thing shiney.

You know the rest of the story.

Hands are toast but this gives me an excuse to by genuine ones. The arrow has a couple tiny scratches but still usable.

The case is shot and some how when she smacked it, the crystal shot out and is actually ok.

But there are a couple of scratches in the dial, not major, unbelievably, but there none the less.

Can I fix then by spraying clear varnish?

BTW, the dial on the 27 has to be sanded down to fit in a jimmy fu case!

I think the dial is beyond repairs.. you could spray it but it has to be a very very thin layer (best using a air-brush set). In the end I think it will alway be noticable. Buy a new dial so it won't bug you....

Edited by Rolexman

I think the dial is beyond repairs.. you could spray it but it has to be a very very thin layer (best using a air-brush set). In the end I think it will alway be noticable. Buy a new dial so it won't bug you....

Thats the problem, I didn't tnink anyone sold this dial. I would buy a new in a heartbeat!

48930-36583.jpg

Doesn't matter anyway. When I was playing with it at lunch I found out the jimmy fu case is too shallow and the second hand won't clear the date mag window.

So it looks like I am going to throw a brand new 2892-A2 power reserve movment up for sale (it won't seel becuase who the hell has a project going that needs THIS movment.

but thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by speedy1

Guest avitt

If the scratches are not all the way through the color, you may actually be able to improve things with varnish. Use clear, matte varnish...the kind you can find in a hobby or art supply store. If you don't airbrush, just buy a spray can. Apply evenly, in a few thin coats. You might be surprised...sounds like you don't have much to lose.

Well actually now the dial is the least of my problems. My replacemnt case won't take this hand stack as it is too tall. At least I found this before it smacked the date mag and knocked off the ar coating as I think it is pretty fragile on reps. The second hand on top increases the stack heigth more than you would think.

I guess I can always get one of the 29 (as they are the same case) and transfer the crystal and jimmy fu crown gaurd to it.

Thanks all the same for the help.

Maybe I will think of a project to use it with, who knows!

Edited by speedy1

Well actually now the dial is the least of my problems. My replacemnt case won't take this hand stack as it is too tall. At least I found this before it smacked the date mag and knocked off the ar coating as I think it is pretty fragile on reps. The second hand on top increases the stack heigth more than you would think.

I guess I can always get one of the 29 (as they are the same case) and transfer the crystal and jimmy fu crown gaurd to it.

Thanks all the same for the help.

Maybe I will think of a project to use it with, who knows!

I might have a almost brand new 44MM pam case for sale later on... left over from a project I had in my mind (never actually happened) AR coating and all.

I might have a almost brand new 44MM pam case for sale later on... left over from a project I had in my mind (never actually happened) AR coating and all.

Thanks! If it is for a 44mm handwind then I can't use it. The Jimmy Fu is already a 44mm standard pannie. But if it for a 27 0r one of the GMT's then YAY!!!! I will take it off of your hands

Speedy, for my 027 project (originally a 44mm PR from TTK) I got a 44mm 111 case from exclusive_discount_uk, and at first the dial did not fit in. My watchsmith had to slightly file the dial in order to make it fit.

We also had minor problems with the crown.

This is to suggest you about being not so positive that a 44mm case will easily fit any movement/dial/crown/etc. originally made for another 44mm case.

I think your best option is to buy a 027 from Silixprime (merely 80 USD) and to replace its asian 21J movement with your 2892-2 :notworthy: and all the other parts you want (e.g. the crystal, which is just mineral glass).

You'll get a case, a dial, and all, not at a very higher price than for the case only.

And the chance they will fit your parts could be even higher.

My best wishes for your rescue. :)