When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

which Panerai should I get??? Undecided.

docdoowop

Hey you watch lovers are there. I have been collecting reps and gens for the last 7 years. I have had from Omegas all the way to Tags. I like watches that sre larger than $35 mm (those unattractive "unisex" ) and the biggest watch I wear now is my Breitling Avenger and it still looks tasteful on my average but not small wrist. I would not go too much bigger so I guess any 44mm PAM is OK for me to accept. Anyways, i have been thinking about those elusive Panerais but I don't really want to spend more than maybe $110 on a new one or $75 on a used one. I attached three different options I have to ponder upon. What do you seasoned collectors think?

#1 is from an Ebay auction I just won. The watch is of course NOT a PAM rep but it is a clone watch. In fact knowing the RWX makes those watches in Japan for around $900 US , I think this one is (LOL) a copy of a clone!!!! It is not a real RWX. I sort of hear that it has a cheap Russian or Chinese movement but it could also have a Unitas??? I dunno. In any case the price seemed to be right: $70 US not incl. shipping.

#2 is from Angel and Jay. You pretty all know about this one. Price: $110 US unshipped. ($35 US to ship EMS to Canada) OUCH!!!

#3 is from "I offer" site. I have two watches from that site (Breitling Avenger and Rolex) and it was a great experience. This specific watch is exactly the same quality as Silixprime but this guy is good: when it is his daytime for him in Thailand, he actually answers every one of your emails IN MINUTES!!!!!

Price: I made an offer (remember, this is IOffer) and I got it for $110 US plus $35 US for ship, just like Silix.

Now, some more:

#1 has a solid blank caseback ( who cares when really, you wear a watch face up). It also has the plain steel bracelet with the links that are blank inside). Also #1 has a plain "hidden" deployment buckle while #2 and #3 have the detailed bracelets but Silix's and Ioffer's watches have CLEAR casebacks, unlike the gens but they both have the "push button" hidden buckle like the gen.

BUT, as a Canadian, because of the exchange, this is what the prices turn out to be(with shipping):

#1 is $130 Canadian funds

#2 is around $160

#3 is around $160

IF CUSTOMS LEAVE THOSE WATCHES ALONE!!!!!!!

I know the difference is not much so why be so undecided? Because i have never seen a Panerai in person (my town here only knows Rolex and Timex) (hey that rhymes! ).

So, since I never was lucky enough to see or test a real one, I just am not sure I would like the watch enough to keep. I might end up doing what I did so often: get rid of it after a few wears. So, even $30 or $40 is something in my wallet not absorbed by aftersale depreciation.

Which brings me to resell value. Which one is most likely to give me back most of my money if I resell it?

Finally, since I bored you so much

I would still be looking to buy a Panerai with steel band in used (very used) condition for around $60 or $75 (Asian at that price) IF ANYONE IN THE FORUM HAD ONE TO SELL.

I will greatly appreciate all your guidance in the petty but still hard decision for me to take on a watch I know nothing about.

THANK YOU ALL.

May you always be well.

Chris