When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brave New World of Image Manipulation

ryyannon

You're not the only one who has found that voice a bit disturbing, Vicky...

As for the software, it was developed by a team of young Israelis - and apparently relegates some of the features of PhotoShop back to the Stone Age.

Not knowing anything about these techniques, I couldn't say...but apparently the real significance of this technique is that it becomes extremely difficult to analyse whether an image has been modified or not if you don't have access to the original.

Given the increasingly frequency of 'counterfeited' images turning up in the news media (just Google 'fauxtography' for an overview of recent examples) these techniques could represent another step in the direction of seamlessly 'managed' information, otherwise known as propaganda.

You're not the only one who has found that voice a bit disturbing, Vicky...

If you heard my voice, you'd find it a bit disturbing too. Let's just say, I was once in a club (and you know how noisy they can be), when I was accosted by an old creep bearing a business card. "With your voice, you can make thousands of pounds", he warbled in a way I presume was supposed to be enticing.

It was for a phone sex scheme. :)

As for the software, it was developed by a team of young Israelis - and apparently relegates PhotoShop back to the Stone Age.

Not knowing anything about these techniques, I couldn't say...but it does seem pretty sophisticated.

I see. Oh God. I know how this thread will now devolve into. Some kind of CIA-Wag the Dog-Hate-Government thread thingie.

For the record, I hate it when news networks superimpose their network logo (NBC are the worst) on neighbouring buildings, during their morning shows. Same thing happens with sponsors during Premiership matches. Blech.

@Ryyannon below: Wow, small dance world! What was up with your toup

If you heard my voice, you'd find it a bit disturbing too. Let's just say, I was once in a club (and you know how noisy they can be), when I was accosted by an old creep bearing a business card. "With your voice, you can make thousands of pounds", he warbled in a way I presume was supposed to be enticing.

It was for a phone sex scheme. :)

How embarrassing!

I can assure you, Vicky, that had I known it was you....