When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintageizing your Rolex dial...

Dizzy

Vintage Rolex franken modders please help me :)

So ive been trying to make my singer great white dial look old and water damaged... I've heard of people doing everything from re-luming it yellowish (very comon but im to shakey to paint tiny dots) to soaking in coffee for a few days to using "spray on varnish" :blink:

I tried the coffee thing and it didnt make any difference at all... and spraying varnish on it seems a little extreme. I have heard of people using heat (heat gun?) so age the markers to a nice crude yellow/orange. Has anyone tried this and can anyone provide me some tips before i burn and destroy my dial?? :):unsure:

We need a GOOD dial modding sticky in the how-to section.. I tried searching and of course i cant find what i need. I want to either build another MBW sea-dweller or MBW1680 thats REALLY weathered inside and out. I want the heavy water damage/aged look on the dial and hands. I want it to look like a 30 year old tool watch thats never been in the AD for service.

Has anyone tried using heat??

This is a picture of the look i am going for, except maybe a little better with the "coloring inside the lines" with the lume but this one still looks pretty cool. I love the color of the markers on this one. Its NOT my picture and i dont know who i stole it from :) Maybe someone can just sell me a MBW 1680 red or white dial that thrashed and make my life easier ha ha

SingleRed01.jpg

Lonnie

I did not modd RLX dials but bright UV light will help ya....buy a light bulp for a terrarium (has got extrem UV) and use a lamp (NO plastic please...the lamp will get HOT!) and place the dial around 5cm under that light....let it stay for 30 minutes...take a look.....not satisfied.....15 minutes more........not satisfied.....15 minutes more...

This will of course damage the luminova on the watch but gives it a nice used, dark orange effect.

Theo

Sweet, i will have to try that thanks!

Lonnie

I did not modd RLX dials but bright UV light will help ya....buy a light bulp for a terrarium (has got extrem UV) and use a lamp (NO plastic please...the lamp will get HOT!) and place the dial around 5cm under that light....let it stay for 30 minutes...take a look.....not satisfied.....15 minutes more........not satisfied.....15 minutes more...

This will of course damage the luminova on the watch but gives it a nice used, dark orange effect.

Theo