When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Time for Beer

catchthecat

By the way:

How much is a beer in a pub in the US?

A very small technicality, Fitmic, but pubs are usually called 'bars' here, even if they have an Irish-type name like Hooligan's. That is to say, the name of the place may even have the word "pub" in it, to denote a more Irish/British drinking hole, but not one American I have ever met has invited me out, saying, "Let's go to the pub!".

They either use the place's name, or say, "Catch you at the sports bar! Wednesdays, ladies drink free!".

It seems that you guys find $7.50 quite expensive.

We're talking about a glass, like the American pint (473 mL).

That's what a regular cheap beer is in the pubs here in Sweden.

I've paid anywhere from a dollar (one whole dollar, can you imagine that?) to about U$3.50 for a bottle or draught, depending on time and locale. There are plenty of Happy Hours where you can get dollar shots. I think Catchthecat has mentioned supermarket prices already, but it varies. I know lots of domestic beers where a twelve-pack is about $7.50. More for the good stuff, like Sam Adams.

Of course, Miss Abstemious over here takes one sip of beer at the bar, and is already high. Anyway, owners don't care. They want to attract women to get hard-drinking men to buy women booze, the better to get laid.

It's all circular. And therefore tacky and fun.

There are so many new micro-breweries in the U.S. now that they take up half the shelve space in most liquor stores. The quality of most of these beers is excellent and can hold it's own against European beer with no problem at all. The alcohol content is up there as well. The mass brewed beers in the U.S. like Bud, Coors, Miller, etc are in the category of what Pug describes to be sure, but they no longer dominate the beer market like they used to. Americans taste in beer has improved dramatically, so the quality has risen as well.