When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about two Rolex reps

trance220

I was browsing Silix tonight, and there are two reps I'm interested in. The first is the Rolex Thunderbird (ROLS136) and the second is the Rolex Chronograph (ROLS074). Does anybody have any experience with these two? I've never seen them before. I dig the numerals on the t-bird and the hands on the chronograph model are pretty cool. Are these real models? I'm obviously new to Rolex...

They are real models. The Datejust, not sure why it's referred to as a Thunderbird, is recent and the chronograph, a 6238, is a vintage Rolex from the 60's. Both are good prices and nice watches, the kind that you're not as likely to get called out for wearing. Is that a real Rolex?

As alli says,the chrono is from a real vintage, a predecessor to the Daytona, but much cooler!

If you want order one, I would recommend that you ask Jay (Silix):

1. Does he have it in stock? If not what is the availability?

2. Does it have the newest asian 7750 movement?

Older asian 7750's have a reputation of being overtaxed and a bit delicate in a chrono rep. Not to put you off, as they can be OK but there is plenty of info here if you want to search.

Yeah, the movement issues scare me. I've read so much that I'm just confused now and not sure what to buy or not buy at this point.

Everything I've read says to leave the chrono buttons alone and only set the date and time by the light of the waning moon while sacrificing a virgin after 4 am or something. I guess if it breaks, it breaks..

The only real experience I've had with reps were the cheesy models you find at flea markets and such, and they only seem to last a couple of months at best. I wrecked my Breitling rep in less than a day, didn't even get to photograph it..

I was browsing Silix tonight, and there are two reps I'm interested in. The first is the Rolex Thunderbird (ROLS136) and the second is the Rolex Chronograph (ROLS074). Does anybody have any experience with these two? I've never seen them before. I dig the numerals on the t-bird and the hands on the chronograph model are pretty cool. Are these real models? I'm obviously new to Rolex...

That is not a Rolex Thunderbird... Don't know why it's labeled as such. Below is a picture of my Gen Rolex Thunderbird. It's a datejust with a white gold turnograph bezel. The turnograph bezel is what makes it the Thunderbird. It was named as such because the USAF awarded Thunderbird pilots with this particular style of watch. I just wanted to help you with a little bit of Rolex history. :)

post-4663-1189743905_thumb.jpg

Dave

That is a sweet watch! I like reading about the history of watches and am of the opinion that you can never know too much about watch history, so thanks for the info! The more I read - the more I am wanting to buy a vintage style rep and do some aging / vintaging. It has to be a model that's not too popular though. I've got this thing for having something that's different. I think the chronograph model would be cool to try out some ideas...

I'm still leary of the movement, but I'll wait to contact the Silix guys until I'm ready to purchase. I've been reading up on the different movements, but I'm still so confused. I'm ready to take watch repair classes just to know what to do if something goes wrong.

Is there really a living to be made in watch repair / upgrade?