When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about movement in a GMT SMP

Winston_Wolf

Hello!

A while back I purchased an Omega Seamaster GMT with the Asian 21J movement. Not long after buying it the hour hand and GMT hand went screwy so that the GMT hand no longer tracks accurately and the hour hand is loose enough to change position whenever you tap on the case of the watch.

I suppose my two options are to have the movement repaired, or replaced. I'm leaning towards buying an ETA movement but I'm too new to watches to know how easy that would be.

Can I just get an ETA 2824 and have a watchsmith just switch them out? Are their complications involving the GMT hand? Does the movement itself need to be modified to run the GMT hand? Is this something I can get done locally with getting too many suspect looks?

Thanks in advance!

You might be able to do a complete movement swap if you can find out what the movement is and order a new one from Cousins UK. If you post a photo of the movement someone here will ID it. Do you have any experience working on watches or are you just adventurous, i did my first one with out any real experience (might want to order 2 movements just in case though, they are cheep any way) and it worked.

Well, I got into collecting watches through James Bond, so I'll probably stick to the Bond-type Omegas for now, but who knows for sure? I thought the SMP was going to be enough but after seeing how good the Planet Oceans are I had to have one of those too... :)

I got the back off of the SMP, so here's a look:

DSCF2220-1.jpg

DSCF2222.jpg

You should be able to get the same movement from Jules Borel of O frie in the states and safe some postage, it will cost about $16 postage at the moment, Do you have the following tools:-

hand removers

hand setters

a selection of screw drivers

Power drill with hammer action

Jewlers loupe

Felling axe

Bottle of Jack

If so you are ready first drink the jack!

BTW if you like the PO wait till you get a SuperDuperOcean!

I know bond never wore one but he might have if it was not for product placement! ;)

No definatly not an omega shop. There might be a member that could do it for you in the states but failing that it would be up to Ziggy in Canada unless you can find a rep friendly shop, you might want to look at the older non affiliated watchsmiths shops, you might get luckyy. Have a good look about, if not there will be info here that will help you do it your self.