When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO Gen or UPO ?

82KUBA

I need some advice ... i was wondering if the gen PO bezel will fit my upo ....ive been wearing my upo for about 4 month now as my daily work beater i love it and take care of it so much that im thinking about this watch as my frist gen. i found one on ebay for $2200 usd .. and my local AD gave me price of $2600 ... but if i get the gen dail ,bezel(if it fits),hands and crystal and have it installed by The Zigmeister im looking at $620 in parts about $300 in labor and $275 price i paid for the UPO ..plus shipping im looking at almost a $1300 rep ....when for $900 more i can get the one on ebay ..... and if i get the gen .... the upo is mint and im sure someone here would take it off my hands if i list it for sale ... what would u guys do ... would like someones POV ..................THANKS

To be honest, I can't see the point in spending that kind of money on a rep. If it's to make it look genuine, as mentioned above, save the extra money and buy the real thing. At the end of the day, a rep will always be a rep, however heavily modified (Unless you swap 100% of the parts with genuine replacements) It might look nice, but it will never be genuine. Personally, I think the issue is really one of,a ) Do you want to tell people it's real, and have them believe you, or b ) Do you just want a watch which looks nice for your own personal pleasure? If it's the former, then you always run the risk of getting called out, and, if that happens in a social environment like a dinner or barbeque, that's going to be embarassing and leave your credibility in tatters. If it's the latter, then knock yourself out and enjoy the workmanship and skill which goes into modifications :) I like modifying watches and building Frankens as much as the next guy, and if someone wants to silently assume it's gen, then that's upto them, but, if asked, I would never tell someone a rep was genuine.

[Edit to add]

thanks guys ...i think im going to start making moves and selling a few things on ebay to fund my gen. by next month ..

I think if perfection and 100% accuracy are your goal, that's probably the best way to go :) Best of luck with your sales and purchase :)

Edited by TeeJay

I've considered sinking money into my rep PO, but you can find them new for $2300USD and used for $1999. This is one watch that I would like own the gen and keep for a long time. I finally got to hold the gen at a jewelry store and it felt and looked better than the rep in the minor details. Yeah sell the junk laying around your house and get the gen and then post some pix!

I finally got to hold the gen at a jewelry store and it felt and looked better than the rep in the minor details.

Actually, the feel of a Gen 45mm PO and the UPO is virtually identical. There are some very, very barely perceptible details that differ but the UPO is astonishingly good for what it is. Personally, If I could get a PO for $2000, I'd consider myself very lucky. Buy the Gen, you know it makes sense ;)