When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

rep Panerai with gen movment?

llsteve80

The only one that I saw was a guy that took an E-series movement out of his own 113 and put it in a rep Fiddy. He then promptly posted it on P-Risti and was called out due to other case differences. I don't know of anyone that sells rep watches with gen movements -- not to say they aren't out there.

It would help if you told us which Panerai you are interested in.

Some GMT autos were, until recently, available with the same ETA movement that Panerai used... but the supply of these movements seems to have dried up. History.

Panerai used the ETA "Unitas" 6947 in many of their hand-wind watches... and that movement is easily obtainable, both as a gen Swiss item or an Asian copy. Of course Panerai reworked the Unitas a bit... mainly to make it prettier.

Panerai are rigid in their control - spares of any kind are close to unobtainable ... your chances of finding a genuine, Panerai-modified movement are so close to zero as makes no difference.

But if you insist on having a gen Swiss 6947 movement in your watch, you can buy one from Ofrei... last time I looked, they only cost $75. Put it in a closed-back Pam and nobody will know...

Having said that, I have loads of watches with 6947 movements, both genuine Swiss and Asian copies.

The only one to let me down was Swiss.

Just trying to restate in other words what has been said so far.

Until 2007, Officine Panerai -- even in their Richemont-Vendome incaranation -- have been (in)famous for not making any in-house movements, but just putting into their watches movements already available.

Replica makers took advantage of it. The growing popularity of Panerais has been just half reason for the incredible widespreading of PAM reps. The other half was the availability of ETA movements exactly alike the 'genuine' PAM movements (with exception for the cosmetic reworks told by Highflyingclive), or more-or-less decent Asian copies of them (these even with no exception for the abovesaid cosmetic reworks).

So it's all but uncommon to find PAM reps:

1) With ETA movements exactly like the genuines, but missing the reworks.

These are becoming rarer (and more expensive) along with the decreasing availability of genuine ETA movements.

2) With good Asian copies of the genuine ETA movements, and with the reworks added.

These are becoming more common, but more expensive too, as long as the Asian copies become better, and the so called super-reps make their way.

3) With inexpensive more-or-less good Asian copies of the genuine ETA movements, usually without the reworks.

Inexpensive... but you are not interested in them.

If you're talking about authentic "decorated" Panerai movements, there aren't any reps out there with them.

However, as others here have pointed out, you can buy a ETA "Unitas" 6947 movement and put it in a rep or if you like the Daylight series chronographs, you can still buy reps with ETA 7753 movements. Those are fairly expensive, however.

a couple years ago a dealer (i think river) had a handfull of fiddy's with gen movements...they were selling for 3K'ish if memory serves...

Yes and yes. Adam sold the gen movement for 2k. By the time you buy a good 1:1 fiddy and have the movement changed, unless you can do it yourself, you're looking at the same 3k.

Thanks everyone. I don't know where I got the idea about that. I knew panerai had 6497's for example, but I thought I recalled someone saying how some dealer was selling a bunch of reps with the panerai movement and they were speculating where it all came from. Maybe I'll check the old forum I was on and see if it was there. If I find it, I'll post a link, I'm liking the marina militare more and more and thinking about grabbing one from someone. I like the vintage with the Brevet crown on it.