When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Entry level vintage Seadweller (DRSD)

lukes

Alright, let me complicate the discussion a bit more.

There seems to be a middle-of-the-road option:

Andrew - TrustyTime DRSD for 218$

After quite a bit of research, it seems that Andrew is offering a decent option, somewhere in between an MBW DRSD and the Entry Level version from TTK.

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...products_id=564

ROLVIN002_1.JPG

ROLVIN002_5.JPG

First off, it uses an ETA movement which is always a plus. It looks like it comes with a decent case-back, even though he seems to be using a submariner case (11.5mm thickness) rather than the 14.5mm original SD case. Furthermore, he has a thick domed plexiglass.

For some of the experts out there, who have MBW DRSD's, would this be a good-enough middle-of-the-road compromise? Is this much better than TTK's entry level offering, to be worth the extra cost?

L

PS:

I've read quite a lot about the MBW DRSDs these past couple of days as well, and I am seriously tempted to save up for a couple of months and get one, at their current price of 350$. Wouldn't really look to mod it, I just really like the idea of it being much more accurate.

We're never satisfied, are we.....

:rolleyes:

I've read quite a lot about the MBW DRSDs these past couple of days as well, and I am seriously tempted to save up for a couple of months and get one, at their current price of 350$. Wouldn't really look to mod it, I just really like the idea of it being much more accurate.

Here's my opinion. You have two options and neither of them is a middle-of-the-road choice. Either get the cheap one or get the MBW. If you get the $200 one, you'll wish you either spent more or less.

and... the mbw will need money and time invested its self. if you go ttk at least you only spent 115 bucks, you can mod it yourself, take a little more pride in the watch and if you fck it up (and you probably wont) its only 115. with the mbw you cant mod yourself because you spent so much money on the thing and your stuck dumping in another 200-300 to make it a truly accurate watch. not to push dealers but...silix offers a drsd 15 more then ttk that has a little more accurate markers but doesnt have the bad ass bracelet...pick your poison. welcoem to the hell of rep collecting. pugs advice was great. but id definately start on the low end.

dude

Here's my opinion. You have two options and neither of them is a middle-of-the-road choice. Either get the cheap one or get the MBW. If you get the $200 one, you'll wish you either spent more or less.

@Pug, you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly my dilemma ...

@thedudeabides, I've looked at Silix's offering and it looks a lot like a submariner case, slightly modified to accomodate the HRV.

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1497

The reason I am considering the Seadweller for its "heaftyness" - being thicker, heavier, more solid. Unfortunately Silix's one doesn't inspire much confidence in this. I already have a Submariner (noobmariner), I'd like a watch that looks and feels different.

Then again, Andrew's offering looks like a submariner case as well (11.5mm) and he's using a much thicker case-back to make up for that. So at the end of the day, we're back to what Pug is saying - either go with the entry level version to try out or save up for the MBW version.

I will let you guys know what I decide. At this point, the MBW version looks more and more desireable, though... It's funny how things change the more you look into a particular watch! That's what makes us appreciate them though, in the end...

Thanks for all your help! :)

Edited by lukes