When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss 7750 movment. What to do.

Lyndonville

This is a new old stock 7750, day/date, subs at 6, 9 and 12. 17 Jewel. The rotor says "unadjusted." I have absolutely no clue what that means. If you do, then please educate me. What I am after are suggestions as to what to do with it. Buy a rep and replace the A7750 with this, or, start from scratch and buy a case, dial, hands, etc. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

post-4958-1190477580_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1190477595_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1190477607_thumb.jpg

post-4958-1190477619_thumb.jpg

This is a new old stock 7750, day/date, subs at 6, 9 and 12. 17 Jewel. The rotor says "unadjusted." I have absolutely no clue what that means. If you do, then please educate me. What I am after are suggestions as to what to do with it. Buy a rep and replace the A7750 with this, or, start from scratch and buy a case, dial, hands, etc. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Quoted from a well-known watch forum:

An "unadjusted" movement is a movement where no attempt has been made to ensure that the daily error rate in several orientations (positions) have been minimized across the positions. An "adjusted" movement, therefore, has had some extra care in ensuring that the variance in accuracy between several orientations is minimized.

Watches are typically adjusted to 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 positions. Traditionally, they are ordered as follows:

Dial Up

Crown Down

Dial Down

Crown Left

Crown Up

Crown Right

For example, a watch adjusted to two positions include positions 1 & 2 from the above list (i.e. face up and crown down). Similarly, a watch adjusted for 4 positions has been adjusted in positions 1-4, and so on. Watches can also be adjusted for isochronism (i.e. constant time across varying states of wind) and temperature. Some manufacturers (Franck Muller, some Patek Phillipe) adjusts to 8 positions (the above six plus two half-way orientations); some would say that this is a bit over-the-top.

A "regulated" movement is a when the overall rate of the entire movement (either adjusted or not) is brought into correct absolute timing. Unlike adjustment, this is a simple tweak, which moves the daily rates of all of the positions up or down without intentionally changing the relative rates in positions.

get a rep with an older slow-beat Asian 7750 copy movement. The hands will fit with no modification, but the newer versions of this copy movement won't fit.

Hope that helps.