When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Advice

bbell6

I have a PAM 112 which I purchased from another member. If I recall correctly, I paid around $230 US (I think it originally came from Andrew or Joshua). I'm not really a PAM person, but after having this watch for several months it is starting to grow on me. I've decided that I want a good one, and am wondering if I should modify the one I have, or if I would be better off to start from scratch with a new one. As stated earlier, I'm not a real PAM person and not up on all the ways to spot a replica. My particular watch has the (I don't know the proper terminology) short post problem and the lume is almost non-existent. I would like to have both of these issues corrected and I would also like to have an accurate working crown (as waterproof as possible). Even with the crown lever in the closed position, the watch can still be wound (is that accurate?). However, if you want to set the time, you have to put the lever in the open position and pull the crown out. Based on my description of the current watch, what is the best route. Should I just have these things fixed, or would it be better to start with a more accurate model (both in terms of cost and accuracy)?

I suppose that as "a more accurate model" you are meaning the DSN's one, that already comes with good lume, non-recessed central pinion, decent crown, and it especially has the dagger swan neck that Josh/Andrew's does not have.

So, we are speaking about 368 USD.

You should contact The Zigmeister and ask his pricelist for a relume + cannon pinion fix + installing a new crown + making the watch "waterproof", and add the cost of a Palp's crown (btw, the crown should not wind the watch with the lever in the closed position -- other than with lots of scratches by the lever on the crown itself, that you don't want).

Then you can compare the two price frames and take a meaningful decision.

The Zigmeister's upgrades are likely to provide you with even slightly better results than a brand new DSN 112, but the incorrect swan neck will stay with you (unless The Zigmeister can also provide a dagger regulator).

So you are the only one that can take a decision once you know the involved costs, and knowing how much accurate you want your 112 to be.

If you let me know (also via PM) how much the upgrades by The Zigmeister would cost you, I can tell you what I would do in your situation.

I have a PAM 112 which I purchased from another member. If I recall correctly, I paid around $230 US (I think it originally came from Andrew or Joshua). I'm not really a PAM person, but after having this watch for several months it is starting to grow on me. I've decided that I want a good one, and am wondering if I should modify the one I have, or if I would be better off to start from scratch with a new one. As stated earlier, I'm not a real PAM person and not up on all the ways to spot a replica. My particular watch has the (I don't know the proper terminology) short post problem and the lume is almost non-existent. I would like to have both of these issues corrected and I would also like to have an accurate working crown (as waterproof as possible). Even with the crown lever in the closed position, the watch can still be wound (is that accurate?). However, if you want to set the time, you have to put the lever in the open position and pull the crown out. Based on my description of the current watch, what is the best route. Should I just have these things fixed, or would it be better to start with a more accurate model (both in terms of cost and accuracy)?

Caught on the horns of the same dilemma - bought a basic 111h from Andrew, happily worn for the last 3 months, but the PAM effect (osmosis?) now means that I would like better lume, cannon pin, etc., etc.

For what it's worth, (and having seen The Zigmeister's price list) I'm leaning towards selling it and buying a modded one from TWP, or a DSN.

prof