When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good online site for Digital Camera

bruce79

I'm in the market for a starter digital SLR and have been looking for a good & reputable online site that might offer deeper discounts than say, Circuit City. I've found some sites like ExpressCameras.com with prices that seem too good to be true. Are there any sites that come highly recommended? thanks

First check out the camera reviews at http://www.dpreview.com/ . You will learn more than you ever thought possible about different models to narrow down your search to the specific make and model that is right for you.

The same Web site also includes links to various online retailers who offer each model. A dealer who has the best price for one model may not have the best price for a different model, so it's hard to say that any one dealer is best.

But before you pick a retailer, decide whether you need a US warranty (I presume you are in the US though I should have checked your profile info before posting this response). Dealers who offer "grey market" versions can offer lower prices than those offering US warranties. For me, sometimes it is worth it to save the extra expense, and at other times I really want that warranty and am willing to pay extra for it. Whichever option you choose, be sure this is spelled out in advance.

Addendum: I just looked at your profile and avatar. My guess is that if your avatar is of the Pike Market, then we are practically neighbors.

fyi, I just checked Costco online and they have the Nikon D40 with an 18-55mm Lens and 2GB SD Card for $500. If prices at other retailers are comparable I'd be tempted to go Costco because of their good customer service and return policies (90 days on cameras). Of course I don't know if you are a member.

I'm leaning towards the Nikon D40, any thoughts?

I have the D40 and like it a lot. amazon has been running an on and off unadvertised special for $569 that gives you the 18-135 lens with it. great deal if you can get it.

Regardless, I think it's a great entry level SLR - go for it.

Have you read dpreview.com? that'll confuse you some more - lol

good luck!

The D40 is a great camera. Unfortunately it does not have the "regular" in-house focus engines, so if you are going to buy extra lenses, these will cost more, because the focus engine is built into the lens. I'd recommend you to take a look at a Canon in the same price range (not sure what model it is. Either D300, D350 or D400) I bought a new camera about 6 months ago and looked at the same cameras you are looking at now. I ended up with a Canon D400 and I am extremely satisfied with it ;)

The D40 is a great camera. Unfortunately it does not have the "regular" in-house focus engines, so if you are going to buy extra lenses, these will cost more, because the focus engine is built into the lens. I'd recommend you to take a look at a Canon in the same price range (not sure what model it is. Either D300, D350 or D400) I bought a new camera about 6 months ago and looked at the same cameras you are looking at now. I ended up with a Canon D400 and I am extremely satisfied with it ;)

Thank you guys for your advice. I actually picked up the D40 yesterday from Circuit City. I just had to have it and they are one of the few places that had them in stock, everyone has the D40x now. Anyway, it appears to be a great camera...haven't really had an opp to use it though. I've had a Nikon N55 for about 3 years now and have probably used it 3 times, pulled it out of the case yesterday and it's like brand new. I bought it to get into SLR photography but it can get expensive if you're learning with 35mm film and don't have access to a dark room. This digital SLR will be much better for learning.