When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 5508 on fleabay

elmo

You can work with that dial but this silix watch has the wrong bezel. The 5508 has a smaller bezel and it does not have a coin edge. Rather, they are a series of squares and equal spaces. Also, this movement has an Asian movement and you never know if the dial feet will line up with an ETA. Had it an ETA, I would swap it out with an ETA 2846 since this motor has a bph of 21600 bph (6 beats per sec as opposed to the original's 5) and is non-hacking, another trait of the original. The bracelet, of course, would have to be changed to the riveted type with the single clasp.

You can work with that dial but this silix watch has the wrong bezel. The 5508 has a smaller bezel and it does not have a coin edge. Rather, they are a series of squares and equal spaces. Also, this movement has an Asian movement and you never know if the dial feet will line up with an ETA. Had it an ETA, I would swap it out with an ETA 2846 since this motor has a bph of 21600 bph (6 beats per sec as opposed to the original's 5) and is non-hacking, another trait of the original. The bracelet, of course, would have to be changed to the riveted type with the single clasp.

Well, we certainly know what the problems are. And there are several more which you haven't pointed out.

But it is an amazing start. Jay has been asked (by me) about the bezel and he is right- there is not enough demand for production to start.

But Jay will be glad to source this for your with an ETA and a riveted bracelet. All you have to do is ask, and I suggest that you do so.

Picking apart a vintage rep is easy sport. But it is merely an academic pursuit for few have ever seen one other than in a photo from the internet.

Carl

Here's another 5508. Again, one can work with this dial.

No cigar for the bezel though.

The bracelet is a little closer although I can't tell if this one has hollow mid-links.

The Eta 2836 is too much engine for this vehicle but swapping out is a snap.

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlsv10014-vintage-...362-p-3285.html

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/ETA-2846.html