When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 183 Question - How Long Does A Full Wind Last?

watcher71

I just got a nice beautiful pam 183 :D from joshua. It is swiss manual wind movement. It is my first manual wind and I do not know how often it should be wound to prevent it from slowing down and losing time. I am asking only because I have read some posts recently about the fragile nature of the crown and stem on the 183s when winding, so I do not want to wind unneccesarily.

It is not going to slow down... the escapement ensures that it keeps constant time, no matter how much tension is left in the mainspring... until there is none left - and then the watch will stop.

This movement has a huge mainspring.. I think the original ETA movement spec stated that it had a 50 hour power reserve. I think I get a little less than that out of mine... but even so, you probably only need to wind it once in two days.

In reality, you will wind it when you decide to wear it. With so many watches to choose from, I find that whatever watch I decide to wear needs winding & setting. I expect that the same thing happens to you.

Happy timekeeping!

Clive

Power reserve is supposed to be 46 hours, and the few that I've checked ran a couple of hours longer.

If you're not going to wear it every day then simply wind it whenever you need to - it should run for two days. However, if you're going to wear if for days at a time, wind it every 24 hours or so. Just be careful when screwing down the crown. Don't force it.

Power reserve is supposed to be 46 hours, and the few that I've checked ran a couple of hours longer.

Acording to the ETA "Technical communication", (Oiling diagram and parts list) the running time on the 6497-2 and 6498-2 movements is 56 hours.

I haven't tested this ... but I do know that giving it a full wind from cold takes a dog's age. That is one looooong mainspring.

Watcher... have you had time to time the running time? If you did have time to time the running time from time to time what did you time the running time with, this time?