When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

F*cked up the movement

jeroen1985

1. What movt is in there? 7750 asian? Not being a Navi fan I have no idea but it would help to know ;)

2. Did you remove the stem in the correct/safest position for that movt? Usually non-time-setting (pos.1) is the safest.

3. Did you remove stem using release mechanism correctly? Buttons (auto) or screws (manual).

4. You've tried slightly rotating stem as you reinsert? Sometimes needs a fine/precise touch to engage keyless works.

Only thing that can possibly have happened if those scenarios aren't ringing any alarm bells is that you've messed up the keyless works - don't panic, you haven't "f**ked up" the movement, just needs a quick dial-side fix by a competent watchsmith.

1. What movt is in there? 7750 asian? Not being a Navi fan I have no idea but it would help to know ;)

2. Did you remove the stem in the correct/safest position for that movt? Usually non-time-setting (pos.1) is the safest.

3. Did you remove stem using release mechanism correctly? Buttons (auto) or screws (manual).

4. You've tried slightly rotating stem as you reinsert? Sometimes needs a fine/precise touch to engage keyless works.

Only thing that can possibly have happened if those scenarios aren't ringing any alarm bells is that you've messed up the keyless works - don't panic, you haven't "f**ked up" the movement, just needs a quick dial-side fix by a competent watchsmith.

I thought that we should remove the stem in time setting position? So that the hacking is on? Or is this only if you intend to remove the hands so you set the hands to 12:00?

Thnx friend for the help

1. It's an 7750 asian

2. I didn't know that you have to set the time in non time setting before removing the stem.

3. I removed the stem with the release button.

4. I tried everything.....

I think I broke the keyless works. Can I fix it myself??

You would have to try really hard to screw up the keyless works on a 7750.

Time setting for releasing a stem is NOT way to do it, no matter what the experts say on TZ (in my opinion), especially critical on the 7750 due to it's design.

I always release the stem in the winding position, on all models of movements.

You have to press on the stem release when installing the stem into a 7750, you did not mention if you did this, so it could be your problem. If you released the stem in the time setting or date position, you may have problems trying to get it back in place.

RG

You would have to try really hard to screw up the keyless works on a 7750.

Time setting for releasing a stem is the only way to do it, no matter what the experts say on TZ (in my opinion), especially critical on the 7750 due to it's design.

You have to press on the stem release when installing the stem into a 7750, you did not mention if you did this, so it could be your problem. If you released the stem in the time setting or date position, you may have problems trying to get it back in place.

RG

Slight contradiction here R? Time setting correct or not? I always believed time setting was safer/correct for ETA 28xx stem removal until I read differently (TZ and your good self a while back) - and have since replaced stems on all movts without problems in pos.0. So once and for all, which is 'right'?

But yes, pressing on the 7750 release button to reinsert is a likely missed step - discovered that for myself a couple of years back :doh:

Oke thnx I did'nt press the release button while reinsert the stem. Also I removed the stem in date position. I thought this was the best way :S

What can I do next to fix this problem? I really want to learn more about movements so I hope with some information I can fix this myself...?

Slight contradiction here R? Time setting correct or not? I always believed time setting was safer/correct for ETA 28xx stem removal until I read differently (TZ and your good self a while back) - and have since replaced stems on all movts without problems in pos.0. So once and for all, which is 'right'?

But yes, pressing on the 7750 release button to reinsert is a likely missed step - discovered that for myself a couple of years back :doh:

Ha, Ha...guess I need that tea in me before I write something down...

I edited the post, I meant to say the Winding position for stem release, not the time setting one....sorry about that.

Glad someone is on the ball, now where is my tea.

So in my humble opinion and from practical experience, once and for all, winding position is the best and safest way to remove a stem from any movement (as proven by your own experience).

RG

I did the same thing with my Tag chrono with 7750. I did release it in the winding position. When I went to reinstall the stem I DID NOT press the release buttom. :doh: I can't wind, change time or date. It appears the release button is stuck in the down position. Is it a matter of just pressing down the release while inserting the stem to fix this? Or does it need to be repaired by removing the dial and fixing it from the other side?

Thanks

I did the same thing with my Tag chrono with 7750. I did release it in the winding position. When I went to reinstall the stem I DID NOT press the release buttom. :doh: I can't wind, change time or date. It appears the release button is stuck in the down position. Is it a matter of just pressing down the release while inserting the stem to fix this? Or does it need to be repaired by removing the dial and fixing it from the other side?

Thanks

On the 7750, you have to press the release to get the stem to lock in place.

If you didn't press the release to get the stem to seat in place, but managed to get the stem to lock, then I suspect that you have damage to the keyless works. I have never seen a 7750 release button stick in the down position, it's a totally different design than the 2836 and doesnt' normally suffer from this problem.

I would remove the stem, the slowly and carefully put it back in place, turn it as you insert it, until it stops, then while pressing on the crown, press down on the release pin, to allow the stem to engage and lock in place. On some 7750's you have to press quite hard to get it to go back in place. You should feel and hear it click when it's seated.

Test it and see if it works. If not, then your left to take it apart, but on the 7750, you have to take a big bridge off to get at the keyless works, and getting this bridge back in place, is very difficult...

RG

Rob,

Well I tried depressing the release and slowly turning. Nothing!!! The release still appears to be stuck in the down position. Only on certain occasions would the stem engage and allow me to wind. I can feel the gears slipping while I turn it.

I tried to take a picture of the release butttom but I am no better at photograpy than I am at watch repair. If I get a chance this weekend I will try again.

Looks like I will be sending this off to you as well.

Thanks

Rod