When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts Regarding Limited Available Movements

rgriffith24

In order to copy say, a rolex movement, they would not only have to reverse engineer and copy the movement, but they would almost have to copy the factory as well. I'm guessing the asian eta copies may have been done on the so called "3rd shift" originally, but then moved to an actual factory later. There is a higher demand for eta copies than rolex copies, the only consumer for a fake rolex movement would be a rep manufacture, and compared to the numerous generic watch companies out there, that is a small number. I don't think it would be time worthy or even economical to go through all of that just to please the people in our world. I would rather enjoy if somebody were to be able to pull it off though.

I think you're wrong, this is not just about the rep world, these asian movts are coming out of reputable manufacturers (e.g. Seagull)

Chinese factories have spent the last few years producing their own versions of standard movts. These are getting better and better (Seagull manual chrono as an example) and clever in their design, and I think it's only a matter of time before we see some of the more complex movts (3-6-9 tricompax, 2894-type chrono) in reliable 'asian' form, as we have with the newer 7750. Possibly some other clones also, maybe even a c.3135.

For those who doubt, you should just look at the other extreme and how the Chinese have now finally accomplished at a tenth of the price what is considered to be the most technically advanced mechanism in horology...the tourbillon.

Possibly some other clones also, maybe even a c.3135.

:whistling:

For those who doubt, you should just look at the other extreme and how the Chinese have now finally accomplished at a tenth of the price what is considered to be the most technically advanced mechanism in horology...the tourbillon.

Agreed. Sure, the Tourbillon isn't in these Millionsmarts for accurate timekeeping, but merely as a device to sell complicated watches, but the same can be said for Blancpains and Breguets.

I can't wait to see what they'll do next.