When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Found gen 005 with "long arrow" font dial

JoJo35

A while ago when The Zigmeister modded my Davidsen 005, I was in search of a more correct dial (remember when Davidsen's had green lume?)

Anyway, I ended up getting Joshua dials for both my 005 and PVD 195. I found somewhere on the forums here that some gen 005 & 195's used the older style font dials for the first run of gens; however, I was never able to find one until today. Here's a link to it (just add "tt" where the x's are):

hxxp://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3176370&rid=0

gen005witholdfontarrow.jpg

How is the "long arrow" different from the standard dial? I did a search and came up with longer and shorter "3's" and stuff but I'm still confused? Is the logo larger?? Is it the L Swiss L vs. Swiss Made?

thanks for the info!! I have an 005 sourced from Joshua and my dial looks very similar to the GEN other than the more upright logo.

I have a gen 'long arrow' 005 and it's exactly as described. The arrows extend further upwards and downwards than the later 005 / 000 logos. The 'long arrow' 005 and 195 had the same logo as the original 5218/201A preV logo watch - it's also slightly lighter or slimmer than the normal 000 / 005 and this can only be seen if you compare tham side by side. However Davidsen's 5218/201A looks all wrong because he has copied the current logo instead of the historic one.

I have a gen 'long arrow' 005 and it's exactly as described. The arrows extend further upwards and downwards than the later 005 / 000 logos. The 'long arrow' 005 and 195 had the same logo as the original 5218/201A preV logo watch - it's also slightly lighter or slimmer than the normal 000 / 005 and this can only be seen if you compare tham side by side. However Davidsen's 5218/201A looks all wrong because he has copied the current logo instead of the historic one.

Couldn't have put it better myself, mate :-)

...and I know you'll treasure your LA_005 for a long time ;-)

cheers,

babola

Short arrow, long arrow, short 3, different font, bad As

I'm confused.

How's the dial on this one?

post-678-1192742027_thumb.jpg

The long arrow / normal arrow, short 3 / normal 3 is a genuine Panerai issue. The first appearance of the logo on the dial of the Vendome or Richmonde watches (Swiss watches) was in the limited edition of 200 units PVD'd 195. These were all engraved with the owner's name on the caseback. Then the 005 appeared in the G series as a SS watch and the first 80 approx 005s had the same dial as the earlier 195. The rest of the 005s had a similar dial except that the logo was slightly more compact with the arrow tips being slightly shorter. The susequent series H, I, J etc also have the normal more compact logos. Hence the 'long arrow' distinction which relates to approximately the first 80 005s. The shorter arrow dials also differed from the normal dials in that the top horizontal bar of the 3 was shorter than other Luminor dials, although there seems to be some inconsistency in this feature. I have seen long arow dials with normal 3s so possibly the rarest long arrow dials don't have a short 3.

The rep which you have posted has the usual misshapen logo - it's too vertical. Also the rep has the wrong font with the crossbar of the A too low when compared to the gen. Hope this explains it.

Eh? - PVD?

So who's making you pesonalised 195 caseback then...c'mon spill the beans B)

LOL!

cheers,

babola

Don't know about the caseback but I was able to get 2 genuine F series CGs which were the same as the 195. I have one on my 029 and one on my preA1 franken at the moment so I'm not sure whether to use one of them instead of the original larger 005 CG if I get it PVD'd. I have some Jimmy Fu CGs so one of those would do the 029 and the gen 005 CG would be great for a 5218/201A if I ever get a proper dial sorted.