When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An aim at our hobby that missed a bit?

Xyphis

I came across this when I was researching watches before I found these wonderful Replica Fansites. Although all points can be argued and some may hold a bit of water, please bring your attention to #5. This forum just gave me that warm fuzzy feeling when I reread this.

From http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/counterfeit.shtml

Here's what buying and wearing fake/counterfeit watches really says about the wearer:

Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money.

Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false.

Weak Ethics - Choosing replica watches shows the world that you are willing to support unethical and illegal businesses--not giving a care about the ethics and legalities involved if they get in the way of getting something that you want cheaply.

Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item.

Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit.

I doubt gens would ever be commonly known for their "value", and many people here seem to avoid the deceiving factor; more of an enjoyment of the timepiece that they otherwise could not have had. I certainly am gullible at times, but this forum gives me a simlar vibe to "kit car" forums and their ilk; knowing what they are and enjoying them for what it is.

Comments?