When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wanted--Estimate on Crown/Stem Repair on Datejust

Bearcat

Hello:

I have a yellow gold Datejust that needs some repair work. The Crown is broken off of the stem. I posted it for sale and am getting inquiries as to the approximate cost to make it whole again.

Does anyone have a "guesstimate" for me as to what this might cost?

My ad is copied below.

"For Sale

Between $50-$150, depending on local labor rates. If enough of the stem remains in the crown so it can be grasped with a pin vise or pliers & easily removed, then the cost will be minimal (an hour of labor & about $5-$10 for a new stem). On the other hand, if the stem broke close to the crown or it cannot be easily removed, then you may need to source a suitable replacement crown, which can be time consuming (and more expensive).

I would look in the phone book & ask some local watchmakers if they will work on a rep watch that has an ETA movement? Most will probably be happy to take on the work. But make sure you are clear that the watch is a rep. Some watchmakers will not work on reps & you do not want to waste your time taking the watch to the shop only to be told 'Oh, you should have told me it was a fake Rolex. We do not work on those here.'