When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Does Atm Mean Insofar As Waterproof Testers

I must say that it has been interesting to see all the statements regarding my assertion that a pressure test to 4ATM is the equivalent of 132 feet. It's pretty clear that there are few divers/pilots among us.

I especially liked the one about the jello pudding . . . LOL

If you're interested, I'll explain it - if you disagree with my explanation, please go here:

Advice or, if that doesn't work:

http://www.oracleinternational.com/advice/

One ATM is defined as a unit of pressure equal to the air pressure at sea level. It equals the amount of pressure that will support a column of mercury 760 millimeters high at 0 degrees Celsius under standard gravity, or 14.7 pounds per square inch (1.01325 × 105 pascals).

As you go deeper under water (salt water), pressure increases at a rate of 14.7 pounds per sq inch (or 1 ATM) every 33 feet. It is different in fresh water (34 ft) and it would be a hell of a lot different in Jello Pudding.

I must acknowledge that the guy who said that pressure testing to 4ATM should have been 99 feet. That is in error only because I was not clear and he would not have been misled had I explained things a little better - specifically, pressure testers are set up such that the scale begins at zero, as opposed to one, so when you add 4ATM, you are subjecting the watch to the equivalent of a 5ATM depth.

Here is the relevant table.

http://www.online.uillinois.edu/oakley/nitrox.html

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Bill

Great explanation! Many people also get off on tangents about dynamic pressures vs. static... pressure rises resulting from the swimming motion.

Certainly there is a *tiny* difference but it's negligible.

A friend of mine is a commercial diver. His deepest dives were to 1800' in chambers, wearing a genuine Sea-dweller. The SD is rated to 2000' and he wasn't the least bit worried about it flooding due to dynamic pressure differentials.

Considering the 1/33 pressure difference between fresh and salt water, that should equate to 1,854 feet "fresh" ... even closer to 2000' limit, and no problems.

PS: Bill said it! How'd we wind up with such a classy gal among this crowd of malcontents?

If he was in a chamber, how the hell would his watch get wet? :g: