When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are these old Seikos worth restoring?

keiron99

My dear old dad, well into his 80s, gave me a couple of his old watches today. I've been on the look out for a classic styled watch (investigating the Aqua Terra), and these, albeit "only" Seikos, really appeal to my eye. They are however in need of attention. The gold plate is shot on both, and they need new crystals. Other than that, they work fine. The one on the right is a manual. The one on the left is an automatic, quite a thick and hefty piece. You can feel the "pendulum"(?) swinging as you move the watch (sorry, I don't know the technical terms). The straps are clearly not originals.

These watches are at least 35 years old, my guess is considerably older. I'd love to get at least one restored just to show my dad, I know it would please him immensely.

Can anyone tell me whether they can be buffed up like new, and if so, offer advice on how it can be sensitively done? Will any half decent watchsmith be able to deal with this? Finally, I'm in the UK, in south Manchester in fact, can anyone recommend anyone in particular and how much it may cost? Many thanks in advance.

DSCF4169.jpg

They are your father's watches; I would imagine that the sentimental value of them far exceeds what it would cost you to have the cases re-plated, fresh crystals installed, and new straps put on. Not only does it have a vintage cool factor, you'll always have a great story to tell, and something that can always remind you of your dad.

@keiron,

Crystals won't be a problem, albeit they may end up acrylic.

I can assist there.

Give thought to contacting a Seiko agent and seeing if GP cases are still available.

The task of re GP these may prove difficult.

I am doing one for a client, and for the life of me can't remove all the old GP.

I contacted Seiko, and they had a new case for A$45. I was never going to clean the old one and replate for that amount.

Maybe new crowns as well, shouldn't be a prob.

If you can't replace the cases, get a quote from a plater, preferably one who dip plates than brush plates.

He will probably dip to remove the old plating first.

See how you go, and give me a PM if I can assist.

Offshore

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've managed to date the watches using this here:

http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jgauch/watch/seiko.html

The manual is August 64, the auto is April 66.

You know, I just dug out an old tin of Brasso and rubbed like fury - the gold is 99% in tact! I guess it was just years of grime. My dad was a mechanic and wore these watches for over 20 years, day in, day out.