When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

need help replacing crystal on minifiddy

Guest greeetz

Guest greeetz

Hi there,

my minifiddy ist just about to arrive. I'm thinking of getting a Low-dome acrylic from cousins UK (is 37.2 the right one ???).

Now I need some advise on changing the crystal.I don't have any special tools like a crystal-press or so. Is the crystal-replacement one of those DIY jobs or do you need an expert for this job ?

Please advise, tutorial&pics very much appreciated.

Cheers, greeetz

Hi there,

my minifiddy ist just about to arrive. I'm thinking of getting a Low-dome acrylic from cousins UK (is 37.2 the right one ???).

Now I need some advise on changing the crystal.I don't have any special tools like a crystal-press or so. Is the crystal-replacement one of those DIY jobs or do you need an expert for this job ?

Cheers, greeetz

so far 37.2 is the size fitting most mini fiddys. at least the ones from twp. as far as needing a press...you may not. i have installed them by just pressing the upside down case against my desk covered with a suede pad.

once for a stubborn one i used one of those black and decker one handed c clamps. :o worked great

however with plexi....you may crack it or scratch it.. so.....you can buy a press pretty cheap on e bay. or perhaps take the case and crystal to a local watchsmith. just tell him you're building a watch from parts :)

Guest greeetz
so far 37.2 is the size fitting most mini fiddys. at least the ones from twp. as far as needing a press...you may not. i have installed them by just pressing the upside down case against my desk covered with a suede pad.

once for a stubborn one i used one of those black and decker one handed c clamps. :o worked great

however with plexi....you may crack it or scratch it.. so.....you can buy a press pretty cheap on e bay. or perhaps take the case and crystal to a local watchsmith. just tell him you're building a watch from parts :)

sounds interesting ;) So I don't have to remove the bezel at all ? I thought I would have to do so first.

sounds interesting ;) So I don't have to remove the bezel at all ? I thought I would have to do so first.

i did'nt...however i was replacing a crystal that sploded all over the place. i just put a bit of silicone o ring lube on the edge of the plexi crystal..made sure not ot pinch/smash the teflon gasket and smooshed it in there.

i dont, however know if this provided a waterproof seal though :huh: it's a vintage project..far from done so ive not tested it yet. as a matter of fact..as i look at another mini fiddy case i have sans crystal...im not even sure how to remove the bezel..is it presed on? threaded? dunno?

perhaps a far moe experienced modder than i can comment.

Hi there,

Cheers, greeetz

Greetz,

Lumpy has a real good point. I bought a 37.2 low dome and it didn't fit properly on my mini-fiddy, but mine was from purchased from Angus, not TWP. It would have required gluing to keep it in place and would have looked like crap.

Guest greeetz
Greetz,

Lumpy has a real good point. I bought a 37.2 low dome and it didn't fit properly on my mini-fiddy, but mine was from purchased from Angus, not TWP. It would have required gluing to keep it in place and would have looked like crap.

Hi tmg,

I guess I'm getting the same one you have already from Angus. So there is no point ordering the low dome 37.2 for the moment. Have you tried a 37,4 or didn't you change it at all in the end ?

Hi tmg,

I guess I'm getting the same one you have already from Angus. So there is no point ordering the low dome 37.2 for the moment. Have you tried a 37,4 or didn't you change it at all in the end ?

Greetz,

I did not try a 37.4, I just left it with the original fiddy crystal.