When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep servicing in the UK

The Mentalist

Is it worth bothering to service the cheaper reps? I would imagine that it would cost about the same as a new rep.

Is it possible to do very basic servicing yourself. What I mean is really just oiling the mechanism. You can buy the tools and oil on e bay how easy is it to get the back off one of these reps and is it obvious where to put the oil?

If you do find anyone in east London who does it put it on here, I am in Ilford and would use someone cheap and local.

Is it possible to do very basic servicing yourself. What I mean is really just oiling the mechanism. You can buy the tools and oil on e bay how easy is it to get the back off one of these reps and is it obvious where to put the oil?

Um, to service the movement, you need to strip it down to its component parts. :blink:

For instance, here is my IWC GST on Master The Zigmeister's bench:

ziggy-work.jpg

As you can see, that's some fiddly stuff right there.

When you reassemble it and oil it, using the 5 different required oils according to the oiling charts, you need to regulate it as well. Expect to pay 80 quid to have someone do an ETA 2824/2836 movement service in the UK. Chronographs are a little more, but don't expect anyone to touch the Chinese 7750 copies we use.

Or, you can do the Timezone course and learn to do your own ETA 2836. It's what I'm doing.

Is it worth bothering to service the cheaper reps? I would imagine that it would cost about the same as a new rep.

If yu do find anyone in east London who does it put it on here, I am in Ilford and would use someone cheap and local.

I think I've been to every watchmaker in East London. Most of the reputable ones wouldn't go near a rep with a bargepole and the one that does (PM for details) doesn't do the full works. [PM for details] on Barking Road will do things like regulation and servicing but can't do pressure testing or waterproofing work. God help you if you've got a dodgy gasket on your Noobmariner. All in all, Colin's is your best bet.

Edited by cornerstone
Please try to keep this info to PM; it sometimes irks these guys if they come up 1 on Google for servicing reps :)

Oh come on with all this take the whole mechanism to pieces and use five different types of oil. I simply refuse to believe that if you mange to get the back off and shove a bit of oil on it it won't run better. You are just over complicating things.

I just rated this as Funny ... but then I had a horrible thought that maybe you're not joking. :blink:

There is a kind of "service" called a dip-and-swish where they take off a bit of the movement and dunk the rest in cleaner followed by swishing it in paraffin. This is cheap (like 20-30 quid) and is what cowboys do when they want to take your money under the pretence of doing actual work.

So, yes, if you want your watch to run perfectly for the next 5-10 years, you need 5 different grades of oil, an ultrasonic bath, trichlorethane, a beat-counter and all the right tools to strip it to its component parts and rebuild it.

Here's the manual for the 2836 our reps have:

http://pugwash.cat5.org/ETA/CT_2801-2_FDE_291887_07.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Oh come on with all this take the whole mechanism to pieces and use five different types of oil. I simply refuse to believe that if you mange to get the back off and shove a bit of oil on it it won't run better. You are just over complicating things.

The best thing to do is just open your watch and smear some household butter or marjorine in there... that should make all the gears spin real smooth.