When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SMP differences

Guest herculesmeister

Guest herculesmeister

Hi,

am so glad i found this place! Must have spend some 12 hours since yesterday here reading almost every single Omega post. What a treasure of knowledge here, amazing.

Virtually not knowing anything about rep's yesterday, let alone the massiveness of the industry I am now finding myself thoroughly intrigued. I mean yesterday afternoon I was still dappling between a gen 2220.80 and a 2531.80 (a middle of nowhere AD had a new one left) and whether the co-axial was worth the difference.

Fast forward 12 hours and I now am on total different planet and wondering whether i should go for a rep SMP from Andrew or from Silix! I am sooo impressed with these that the gen seems to have vanished from my mind (for now at least). No doubt once I have a rep I'll want a gen but for now I find this a perfect way to 'test the waters'.

So, my first question, is the rep SMP offered on the sites of Andrew and Silix from the same source? I see very little difference, both the same movement yet the price difference is well over 50 bucks.....238 vs 175.

I have read the excellent guides, have had a look at every single picture of every single dealer and am ready to 'take the shot', just not sure yet at which one.

Thanks!

A link would be a good help, since I'm lazy, and not sure what model you meam.

But I have the Black sword hands SMP Andrew and Josh sell at that same price, and think when I looked at the Silex version of that watch a couple of monthe ago, it had a white backgroundwith black number appearing through the date window, which was incorrect for that watch--the sword hands black SMP.

Of course, if you are looking at the blue face, skeleton hands version, you can disregard this completely (but I still wouldn't assume they have the same sources, or it's the same watch. There are lots of different makers on these. However, different sources may just mean diferent strengths/weaknesses--and you may like both versions about as well for different reasons, depending on what appeals to you. Look at the pictures very critically).

So, my first question, is the rep SMP offered on the sites of Andrew and Silix from the same source? I see very little difference, both the same movement yet the price difference is well over 50 bucks.....238 vs 175.

They look to be the same. Silix's end links look a bit rougher on finish than Andrew's...but otherwise the same.

Either way...they are likely the same quality, and the bezel alignment is off. If you get lucky, the bezel insert will come correct...but even that is now debateable apparently: SEE HERE.

Either way...if you look at the Dealer Reviews section, you will find both dealers are good. Andrew and Josh (Perfect-Clones) are SUPER FAST on email (from minutes to a couple hours response time) response, service, etc and really stand by their products. They are great for first time buyers who are impatient and essentially want their hands held a bit/a lot. You'll get a tracking number within day of ordering.

Silix is very reliable too, but doesn't work weekends so email turnaround is slower, and generally has around 12-24hrs email response time...so this can seem like a long time. You might not get a tracking number at all...or it may take a week. Shipping will be slower even though it will still be by EMS...but he's generally way cheaper, supportive and reliable.

That's really the issue between the 2 offerings you listed...the dealer, and not the watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one this year from Silix but I had to return it: wonky markers and a couple of other probs.

They take a long time to do anything, and after trying them a couple more times (again with duff product) it's highly doubtful I'll buy again.