When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Hands

dieselpower

Whilst researching my DRSD 1665 project I noticed something that interested and intrigued me. It seems that there were two versions of the hands on the 1665 SD. If this is common knowledge then forgive me my ignorance but I noticed that the hands on most of the genuine photos I had seen had a slimmer "y" in the 'mercedes' circle of the hour hand when compared to the MBW rep. Also that the painted lume area inside the minute hand was fatter on the gen than the rep. I took this to be the reality and decided that I would try to source somw gen Tudor hands so my project watch ended up more accurate. Then I discovered the following photograph of a gen 1665 for sale and I studied the hands and found then (to my eye) to be almost identical to the MBW hands that are already on my watch. Please observe the following photos andyou can see for yourself. What do you think? Am I insane, ignorant, or can you see my point?

post-2563-1193122334_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1193122368_thumb.jpg

post-2563-1193122482_thumb.jpg

Yes, I found the same thing -- vintage Seadwellers & Subs were produced with more than 1 style of hands (the width of the lume sections also varies).

My MBW came with hands similar to the middle photo.

23.jpg

But I replaced these with a set of Clark's hands to match the first photo

drsd_datewheel-readjusted.jpg

(Yes, I am aware the second hands appears bent in the photo - it is just a scanner effect)

Both are correct (I have tons of gen photos that support this), but I chose the lighter gauge version because most reps (like the MBWs) come with the heavier gauge hands.