When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I guess this would be the "Ultimate PO".

RWG Technical

Well here it is after a few mods.

Movement serviced.

Genuine bezel insert installed into the rep bezel.

Back of the gen insert had a lip on the back that had to be ground off for it to fit the rep bezel assembly.

5.jpg

Insert installed using my crystal press to get it seated flush.

10.jpg

Genuine tube and crown

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Genuine dial and hour and minute hands installed. I used the seconds hand from the rep, and relumed it with C3 (Note the colour of the tip of the seconds hand, it's a lighter orange than the dial, were going to fix it...).

6.jpg

And then the seconds hand tip was painted to match the orange of the dial markings, that looks much better.

1.jpg

Overall view with a genuine crystal added in for good measure.

3.jpg

I remember someone asking if the gen dial matched up with the ETA datewheel, it looks good to me in this view, it's centered, has nice even spacing around the top and side edges.

4.jpg

I think the owner will be pleased.

RG

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good, nice work!

Seems the DW side gap is not evident on this example, hmmm, I wonder if it's something to do with the switch in movts? ETA 2824 or Sellita SW200, which one's in there?

Oh and what paint (type and ref. colour) did you use for the second hand tip?

ETA 2824 in this model, but that was what was in the other one I installed the gen dial onto last week...not sure what if any difference there is, datewheel itself maybe?

Paint is custom mixed from my artists oil paints, combo of Cad yellow med, and Cad red light, mixed until it matches the dial.

RG

ETA 2824 in this model, but that was what was in the other one I installed the gen dial onto last week...not sure what if any difference there is, datewheel itself maybe?
I guess so, this DW obviously has a smaller inner diameter/greater outer diameter (so appears thicker filling up the gen date window) than some of the other examples I've seen that have attempted a gen dial swapout.

Paint is custom mixed from my artists oil paints, combo of Cad yellow med, and Cad red light, mixed until it matches the dial.
Drat. Oh well, nothing like custom matching :D

Very nice work!!! Quick question about the insert, did it come with the pearl or is the pearl attached to the bezel. The only reason I ask is it looks like there is a pearl in the gen insert you sanded down.

Sorry The Zigmeister, I'm on a roll :D

Gen pearl is attached to insert. Unfortunately only available together with bezel itself as with all Omega bezel/inserts.

Rep pearl is part of a long tubey thing glued to the bezel surface itself, which then protudes through a hole in the rep insert.

Sorry The Zigmeister, I'm on a roll :D

Gen pearl is attached to insert. Unfortunately only available together with bezel itself as with all Omega bezel/inserts.

Rep pearl is part of a long tubey thing glued to the bezel surface itself, which then protudes through a hole in the rep insert.

So if I wanted to swap the rep insert for a gen insert, I would just need to snap off the rep pearl tube which is glued to the rep bezel? I always thought it was all the same metal. This is good news.

....LOL

So I'm sitting here and trying to add it all up....I'm at about $750 total, some serious money....think I'm close??

Nope. See other PO thread under this one...ah sod it, I'm feeling generous :D

picture13le1.png

Don't forget to knock $20 off that since it's geared for EU delivery....

So $630ish for US delivery of gen bits....

Plus actual stock UPO at what, say $250 these days?

TOTAL $900 :blink:

Yes and No.

It's an ETA datewheel, but NOT ETA printing on it...ETA uses thinner printing. So it must be a modified datewheel.

RG

Hmm, I always thought it might be printed on an ETA blank but honestly side-by-side when I checked, my DW font looks identical in weight/leading etc to my gen 7750 DW font. However, that would support the different UPO DW theory we discussed re. window gaps. :g:

Thanks Doc....

WOW...so $630ish and THEN add in the watch and you forgot the costs for mods?....too rich for me for a rep....

I know it's beautiful and we're all after the holy grail, but after all this cash and work, my eyes still look at the HE valve position and I think for another 6-700 you could buy gen

Gorgeous nonetheless and for sure an ULTIMATE rep of this

Sorry, but I don't think you can buy a gen 45mm Planet Ocean for 1600-1800. My Gen cost me $3200. The HE valve on the UPO compared to my Gen PO is in the exact same position.

After all the parts the watch and the mods I am looking at $1000-$1100 (also with full The Zigmeister watch service)

The watch shown in this post is mine (YAY!, you da man Zig!) :D I spent the money to educate myself about reps (first rep), curiosity to compare to my gen and to help other board members see what is possible with the UPO.

Edited by 911RS

@911RS - Did you put a modified DW in your UPO? Or did you luck out and get a good one?? Congrats, I look forward to joining you soon. Mine will go great with my gen electric blue. For what I'm spending/spent on the UPO plus mods and ziggification, plus the gen electric blue, I could of bought 1 gen PO. I prefer to have the 2 watches.

Well as much as I would like to take some credit for the work, other than a lumed seconds hand, and a bit of orange paint on the tip of it, and of course the serviced movement (which you can't see anyway), all I did was assemble a bunch of genuine parts.

Now; the Cousteau sitting on my bench; that needs a lume; that I will take credit for doing...

This is a nice PO I must say, and the ETA 2824 is a work horse and won't let you down.

Congrats on such a nice piece.

RG