When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of different PVD samples

ajoesmith

Well i contacted the PVD compnay after the previous coating turned out to be a brown colour. THey sent me samples of the other coatings that they do

TiN - Titanium Nitride, which turns out a 'Gold' colour - This may be an option for gold watches???

TiCN - Titanium Carbon Nitride, which turns out a 'Grey, Silver' colour

Other process, which turns out a 'Grey, Black' colour. Edited as when i searched for the correct name of the other process, RWG came up 5th on the list!, we dont need any attention

The Other process looks great, ill be getting it done next. You can see the name in the pictures

Here are the pics, sorry for the quality. I have put the samples next to the PVD brown coat so you can try and see the colour difference.

Enjoy

CIMG2205.jpg

CIMG2206.jpg

CIMG2207.jpg

CIMG2208.jpg

CIMG2209.jpg

CIMG2210.jpg

CIMG2211.jpg

CIMG2212.jpg

CIMG2213.jpg

I'm not going to paprticipate in the finished project, which I think is great by the way. I'm leaning to the PAM side right now.

Still allow me to ask: What's the relative hardness of the coatings?

As that question popped in to my mind, I'm sure that it's one that would make a world of difference in this particular application.

Great project!

:)

If you want my $0.02, then I think you need to stick with either TiAlN or AlTiN, as it's really the right coating to use. It outperforms TiN (which is gold anyhow), and TiCN. So, what I think what you need to do is obtain TiAlN samples from various coaters. There will be noticeable color variances between them because the Al doping percentages are different from coater to coater. And the color of TiAlN is a direct result of the Ti:Al ratio. Of course, I'm thinking of PAMs, and am not entirely familiar with B&R. If what you seek is a darker black, then you need an even higher Aluminum percentage and then they call it AlTiN. Some rather poor pictures illustrate the difference below:

AlTiN:

types_aitin.gif

TiAlN:

types_tiain.gif

Still allow me to ask: What's the relative hardness of the coatings?

Here's Vickers hardness scale from Bekaert:

300390-2767.gif

...I'm currently having a watch done as a sample, using a new non-PVD process. The coating is supposed to be deep black, with a 4000 HV hardness....

If successful, I'll post pics and details.