When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I get this busted screw out?

llsteve80

I bought a cruddy watch from the display case at sharper image today for a discount, nothing special, but the screw holding the rotor in was snapped off inside. I don't have any drill bits to tap it out, what else can I do besides make it a manual watch? I have screws to fit, but this is a new problem for me. Here's a pic

screw.jpg

Your only option is to either replace the bridge, or buy a broken screw removal tool, it looks like a "C" clamp and allows you to get broken screws out of plates and bridges.

RG

Thanks. I don't think I'll be putting money into this watch, but that tool may come in handy anyway. I'll check ofrei.

If the hole goes through both sides of the bridge AND it is threaded all the way through AND there are some available threads at one end of the hole AND the broken screw is not severely jammed in the hole AND you have another screw of the same size & thread pitch......you might be able to get the broken screw out by soaking the bridge in WD40 (penetrating oil) and then screwing the new screw in, gently, and it may guide the broken screw out the other side. This has worked for me on a couple of occasions.

Another option (that I have used with success dozens of times in automotive restoration work) is to try to cut/carve/punch a slot in one end of the broken screw's shaft to fit the blade of a standard jeweler's screwdriver. Apply some WD40 (give it a few minutes to penetrate) and then just unscrew the screw.

If the hole goes through both sides of the bridge AND it is threaded all the way through AND there are some available threads at one end of the hole AND the broken screw is not severely jammed in the hole AND you have another screw of the same size & thread pitch......you might be able to get the broken screw out by soaking the bridge in WD40 (penetrating oil) and then screwing the new screw in, gently, and it may guide the broken screw out the other side. This has worked for me on a couple of occasions.

Another option (that I have used with success dozens of times in automotive restoration work) is to try to cut/carve/punch a slot in one end of the broken screw's shaft to fit the blade of a standard jeweler's screwdriver. Apply some WD40 (give it a few minutes to penetrate) and then just unscrew the screw.

Sounds good, I have nothing to lose anyway! Thanks again freddy