When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some 3717's made of cheap aluminum?

chad

How is this even being debated? Aluminum is very light, very soft. If your watch is heavy, as expected, it is steel. If it is light like a plastic watch, it's aluminum. If you can tell the difference in weight between a titanium watch and a steel watch, you can tell the difference between aluminum and steel. If you still aren't sure, you can take an Xacto knife and try to cut a chunk out of the watch in a hidden spot. If you can cut a chunk out it's aluminum, if you just end up scratching your watch but can't get chunks/shavings, it's steel.

I doubt that any watch maker would use aluminum.

How is this even being debated? Aluminum is very light, very soft. If your watch is heavy, as expected, it is steel. If it is light like a plastic watch, it's aluminum. If you can tell the difference in weight between a titanium watch and a steel watch, you can tell the difference between aluminum and steel. If you still aren't sure, you can take an Xacto knife and try to cut a chunk out of the watch in a hidden spot. If you can cut a chunk out it's aluminum, if you just end up scratching your watch but can't get chunks/shavings, it's steel.

I doubt that any watch maker would use aluminum.

hahaha ok try to cut or do anything with aluminium type PA6 good luck :D

Well....I've been wearing mine for over a month now....and I......who are you again.....how do I know you....in fact who am I...how did I get here...can you tie my shoelaces for me...I forget how to....the sky is falling....what's a 'sky' again...I need to sleep.....?

Edited by TTK

hahaha ok try to cut or do anything with aluminium type PA6 good luck :D

What is pa6? I'm only familiar with pa6 being polyamide i.e. nylon.

For what it's worth, i read a review on the ingenieur at timezone and the author's main complaint about it is the softer SS(or process) iwc apparently used.

Maybe the rep manufacturers should be commended on going above and beyond to deliver a more accurate rep. :D

"The Ugly--

I've saved this one for last because (for me, anyway) it is the most significant negative. The watch is a real ding and scratch magnet. It seems the steel they use is softer than other watches I own and its height seems to lend itself to banging the watch into things. I'm more conscious of this watch than others that I own in this regard. Even the caseback has scratches from rubbing against the SS bracelet. Nothing that can't be polished out, but annoying nonetheless. "

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=