When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Gst Chrono Pushers

PAMman

Several people have had them come off. The buttons are screwed on to a post which is nothing more than a screw that comes from within the case. The screw head is what acts on the movement's chronograph actuators. The top and bottom pushers are different. The bottom one has a larger slotted head on its screw than the top. Usually one pusher is loose and the other is tight. I can't remember which one I simply loosened by finger.

To secure properly, you should decase the movement and remove the pusher buttons using a screwdriver on the back side. Use blue Loctite on the thread (sparingly) and reassemble. Don't lose the little spring that lives behind the button when you take them apart.

Edited by krustybrand

In my case I had a repair guy reattach the bottom pusher after it came off. I had screwed it back on by hand, but it came off one time too often. Fortunately I never lost the button. The top pusher jammed around the same time. I also wanted this repair guy's opinion on the cleanliness and lubrication of the movement. I was pleased that he considered it in otherwise good condition.

I admire people like Krusty who can do their own light service, but if you have never done this or are in the least bit uncomfortable doing so, I strongly urge you to find a decent watch repair person to do the job right.

I admire people like Krusty who can do their own light service, but if you have never done this or are in the least bit uncomfortable doing so, I strongly urge you to find a decent watch repair person to do the job right.

Part of what I love about this forum is the support given to people who want to learn to do things themselves. After the first white-knuckled attempt, one realizes that movements are quite robust (when assembled) and it isn't difficult to do basic things. Minimal tools are needed.

My first time was a DW Daytona, and the movement clamps and screws simply wouldn't cooperate. 3 times I decased the movement, and 3 times either the clamp or screw leapt from the tweezers. Panic ensued. I had no spares. Each and every time, I noticed that the movement had stopped. 3 times, I found the missing part jamming the balance wheel. How's that for "luck"? I carefully retrieved and put them back where they belonged. The IWC's movement is quite easy to decase. 2 clamps and associated screws, and out it drops. A new watercolor brush (sable, in my case - one I hadn't used yet) to clean the dial along with a blower, a lint-free eyeglass cloth with cleaning solution for the inside of the crystal, again with a puff of air, and it all goes back together easily. I strongly encourage everyone to give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? A knackered rep. No great loss, and you can keep the movement for future learning.

I was going to send it to The Zigmeister for service, relume and pusher fix... but now he's gone for the summer :(