When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'solid gold' DJ from King

piratedzeus

Vforce on RWC posted this:

Hi:

I went to kings web http://www.cclv.net and I saw some new Mens Rolex DJ that she posted as 14kt gold/gold plated so I sent her and e-mail asking what did she mean by 14k gold/gold plated and she responded that for 250.00 usd is for 14kt gold plated and 350.00 usd for a real 14kt solid gold Bezel. Crown and center links on the two tone Rolex models. what do you guys think that its possible that she is for real about selling real solid gold or not....

I responded this:

100$ more for a solid Gold two tone bracelet&?

Sounds a bit questionable.

Gold price is27$ / gramm at the moment if I calculated that right.

14k=58,5% gold

27*0,585=16$/gramm 14k gold

100$/16$=6,25

6,25 gramm more 14k for the 100$. can this be right? and can this be enough for a bezel and a JUBILEE bracelet? no, IMHO Smiley

Maybe I am wrong. I am not into Twotone(nobody take this personal :p ) or maths

What do you think?

Not sure what it means today, but 20 or so years ago, some dealers were offering 2 levels of gold or twotone Rolexes. The 2nd, higher level were described as having laser etched gold plated bezels. This was one of those

datejust-tt.jpg

I cannot vouch for the quality or thickness of the plating, but I can say, based on my experience, that the extra plating translated into a longer lifespan for the gold. It took more than twice as long as the regular plating (which was used on the middle links of the bracelet) before it began to wear away.

Solid gold parts had been duscussed a couple of years ago, might have been here might have been on TRC, in the end Precious time (i think) had one of his links melted down and photographed the whole process to prove the link was solid gold (14kt i think) Im sure that some of the more senior members would remember the whole thing, but it did prove that solid gold did exist in reps and PT put his product on test.

I have a few watches that claim to be solid gold. I have actually acid tested them as well. This is what I found.

The daytonas I got from Paul were advertised as 18K tested for about 12k. I also notice that on all these watches there seems to be layers of gold inside the links. The inside layers are usually a lower karat alloy that will not tarnish. The outer layer which is thin but thick enough to not wear through is the solid gold part. Yes these types of watches are worth the money.

I have come close to pulling the trigger of the TT DJ with the alleged solid gold midlinks, crown and bezel for about $600. Just cant do it. What's to stop these guys from passing 10K gold fill with a brass center and a 14K plating off as the genuine article? In 5 years when I see brassing...will dealer X still be in business...will he care...will he still have my $600???...hell yes.

Rather take my $600 and get a Chase Durer PVD Underwater Demolition Team Chrono.