When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So does Angus' Perfect 111E + PVD = PAM004?

RageRover

Angus' 111E is looking really good...I'm reallllllyyyy wanting to pull the trigger on it.

Lately, been interested in PVD. I'm starting to like the "under cover" look.

Babola said that Angus' 111E "...will not accept standard rep dial without additional mod, will be OK with DSN dial."

So I'm thinking that this dial should fit DSN's PVD case perfectly?

Or other option is to take Angus' 111E and PVD it?

Of course you'll need a new caseback, which is available...but then will it fit? But with a closed caseback you don't have to worry about how perfect the movement is (or isn't).

I think I just opened up a can of worms!

I'm just sort of thinking out loud and wondering if my thinking is correct?

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Pic is of a gen Pam004.

post-3363-1194626109_thumb.jpg

I can't help you with if it'll fit a DSN case or not but your thinking seems right. A 111 sausage dial in a PVD case is a 004. DSN sells a 004 so you should be able to get a case and the correct back for it.

Thanks for letting me know my thinking is correct. I'm not much of a Paneristi. I have resisted the temptation...I’m just starting to give in! LOL

I've dealt with Angus and I've been very happy with his products and service. So part of my attitude is why change once you found a good thing :)

The only reason I'm considering DSN's case is he seems to be the only one with a properly PVDed case. But I have never been a fan of DSN's dials. Also been too many posts lately about how is service and quality is slipping.

Angus seems to have the "perfect" 111E dial (as far as fonts, numbers, spacing...may only need some luminova).

I don't own any PVD watches...they scare me...I'm afraid they will chip and scratch and start to look like merde after a short period of time. I'm not easy on my daily watches.

I'm a somewhat clumsy guy. I'm often hitting my wrist (accidentally) against doorways, etc. So maybe I should stick to stainless.

Anyway...I'll call around and see what it costs to get a watch PVDed. I think getting Angus' 111E and getting it PVDed is the way to go. At least I know the PVD will be perfect (as far as durability, maybe not color) if I have it done myself. I'm guessing it would cost $100 +/- a few dollars.

Display case backs are nice. I love looking at movements. But IMHO, a Panerai is a tool watch, should have a closed back. And 2, The open back thing wears off quickly with most watches. Its one thing if I have an antique Cortebert movement or a chronograph where I can see little levers moving. But with a 6497/8 I dont need to a display back.

Sorry for long post and blabbing LOL

FWIW, I ordered two DSN pams and have had no quality issues with them at all. I ordered two more and they should be here in the next few days. I always have DSN take a pic of the watches and email them to me for final approval. Maybe this makes him put a little more QC in his watches for me before he ships. I'll see if the next two are as good as the first two.

His PVD is good, probably the best in the rep world but if you can get it PVD'd on your own, it'd be better I'm sure. if you are truly hard on watches, then yes, they'll probably look beat up soon with the DSN PVD. That's not a bad thing, however, as you'll have sort of a vintage look on your watch. I like DSN watches and after all my ordering is done, I'll own 6 from him, 7 if I get a fiddy. That said, I ordered an Angus 111E because DSN's sausage dial 111 looks pretty bad. His numbers are way to fat. The Angus 111E was a better choice over the DSN.

Lots of gen owners have their 005 and 000 base models PVD'd so there is someone out there to do it. I'm not sure of the cost, however. Let me know what it cost and maybe I'll get a watch to have it done to.

Edited by bazonkers