When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap Making 101.5

xlr8tn

I'd like to attempt making my own straps and have the necessary tools. Problem is ... there are a gazillion types of leather. I sort of like the look of bison, but not sure of what type of leather hide to purchase. I really just need a small piece to give it a go. Are you using 6-7 oz leather? Is it this veg tan stuff? I like the feel of the stock one (last photo), just not the color or thin nature of it. See attached...what type of leather are we looking at?

Thanks,

Brent

post-579-1194993065_thumb.jpg

post-579-1194993078_thumb.jpg

post-579-1194993330_thumb.jpg

post-579-1194993393_thumb.jpg

Edited by xlr8tn

I just go to my local leathwer shop and see what he has no idea about the weight, i fold it over and see how it bends, see if the colour changes as the grain bends, is it supple, how thick it would be doubled, i spent a long time in the offcuts bin looking that is where the leather came for the first 4 after that i found a few good nice pieces and bought small pieces at a time.

Buy a couple of cheep straps and take them apart see how they are made.

My Prototype is done! Thank you FxrAndy for all your help. Overall, I am happy with what I produced and the next one can only be an improvement. I first sought out a quality hide. It's tough to find just a small piece, so I ended up getting a side of Black Buffalo/Bison at a weight of about 6-7 ozs. I was after a total thickness of 5mm and this turned out to be spot on once doubled, glued, and pressed. I mostly used one of my stock straps to get baseline measurements.

I fabricated something like a stitching horse out of two pieces of oak about a foot in length (see pic). I sandwiched them together and drilled 5 holes, one at each corner, and one in the middle. Then I used bolts and wing nuts to secure. I used this to position the piece and do the actual stitching. I plan to use it in the future as my press instead of having to go out in the "cold" garage.

Things I learned from the process:

• Strap making takes time, patience, and dedication
  • I really appreciate the craftsmanship of fellow strapmakers
  • You need to have the correct tools to do a professional job (I plan to add a few additional tools for the next one)

The next strap, I would like to use something a little bit lighter in weight (~4.6 oz). I have enough Bison to make another 50 straps, so if anyone wants to do a leather exchange, let me know. I would like to try out a few different types of leather. Also, I will probably use a thicker thread next time but need to figure out the right ply.

Recap

Hide ... $87

Tools ... $50

Wearing a rep PAM with my own custom strap ... PRICELESS

post-579-1195600804_thumb.jpg

post-579-1195600905_thumb.jpg

post-579-1195601030_thumb.jpg

post-579-1195601122_thumb.jpg

Edited by xlr8tn