When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PVD Durability

TeeJay

I've been unable to find anything really concrete on this subject, so forgive me if it's a repost.

Having just received a PVD'd PAM, I was wondering what kind of durability the coating has. I've read that Panerai only issued a limited edition PVD on the understanding that folks wouldn't be wearing them regularly, and wondered how that applied to reps. Are these indeed watches which will scratch and scuff up at the mere suggestion of being worn, or, are they durable enough to withstand general everyday wear, or even somewhere inbetween? I'll be interested to get folk's opinions and experiences :) Thanks in advance :)

I've been unable to find anything really concrete on this subject, so forgive me if it's a repost.

Having just received a PVD'd PAM, I was wondering what kind of durability the coating has. I've read that Panerai only issued a limited edition PVD on the understanding that folks wouldn't be wearing them regularly, and wondered how that applied to reps. Are these indeed watches which will scratch and scuff up at the mere suggestion of being worn, or, are they durable enough to withstand general everyday wear, or even somewhere inbetween? I'll be interested to get folk's opinions and experiences :) Thanks in advance :)

You need to find out what process was used. DLC is the most durable by far, then Ti AlN, then TiN. The agressiveness of the bead blasting also influences durability. The interesting thing I've learned recently is that the type of PVD process used is not nearly as important aesthetically as it once was. These days a specific look can be achieved by a number of different PVD processes, so I guess it's possible to have durability and an accurate color at the same time if you ever decide to refinish the watch.

You need to find out what process was used. DLC is the most durable by far, then Ti AlN, then TiN. The agressiveness of the bead blasting also influences durability. The interesting thing I've learned recently is that the type of PVD process used is not nearly as important aesthetically as it once was. These days a specific look can be achieved by a number of different PVD processes, so I guess it's possible to have durability and an accurate color at the same time if you ever decide to refinish the watch.

Ahh, now that's something I didn't know about, thanks for that :) I'll try asking my dealer if he knows what kind of process was used, but I'm not sure if he'd know... I'm rather liking the different look the PVD gives the watch, and, as it was (albeit delayed) a birthday present from my fiance, it's in my best interests if it gets a lot of wrist time :lol: I just wondered what kind of durablity I could maybe expect from other's experiences, or if it's a watch which will soon have some bright 'highlights' :lol: