When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Caseback and Bracelet Compatibility

millemiglia

Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought a used GEN SOSF, he knew the case-back (and bracelet at that, which by the way is also broken) were scratched, and he thought he could get rid of these scratches with some polishing/dremel work, the problem is, they are far worse than he thought and the Breit logo on the back has a damaged wing that will never get back to normal.

At this point I suggested to buy an "asian" rep (the same as the ETA version only with the asia movement and no AR) and "steal" the caseback and bracelet.

The problem is, will they fit the gen case? (just a simple swap).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by TwoTone

I don't think you'll get a definite answer here, but there is no loss in buying one and trying. Asian versions are cheap, and if it doesn't work it can be easily sold at almost the same price you buy it for. Of course he will lose his gen serial number in the process. My advice would be to live with what he has.

The warranty is expired anyway and he wouldn't certainly throw the old caseback out of the window ;) ,

If you think about it he would end up with a Gen case, dial, hands, crystal, movement and (very well made and new) Rep bracelet and case-back.

A new watch basically.

What you say about price is true, but it would still be better to know in advance... (anyone? :notworthy: )

Half of me says no. The half of me that says no is the caseback. Even if they both may be of the same diameter, the threading may be not.

You also gotta watch out for the bracelets with the curved ends because a rep bracelet may not fit perfectly "flush" on the case of the rep as it would on the gen. Now, don't take my word for it and I agree with what Andrew said about buying an Econo model just to see if it fits.

I've had experience with fitting a rep pilot bracelet on a gen Chronomat Evo and the thing that bugs me is that there is a .5mm gap between the end link and case.

UPDATE: I received confirmation that the glass/crystal too is a replacement with no AR.

This watch probably got trashed pretty bad, who knows what happened (everything else is gen).

A good Idea now would be to get an ETA rep with double AR and steal the crystal, caseback and bracelet, but it is even more important to know about compatibility in advance since it costs more! :o

UPDATE: I received confirmation that the glass/crystal too is a replacement with no AR.

This watch probably got trashed pretty bad, who knows what happened (everything else is gen).

A good Idea now would be to get an ETA rep with double AR and steal the crystal, caseback and bracelet, but it is even more important to know about compatibility in advance since it costs more! :o

Just do a movement/dial transplant; as that would be a simpler task than dissassembling two watches with the risk of damaging one or both of them.

It would be easier, but the numbers engraved on the rep bezel are wrong, why ditch the gen case and bezel?

You're not going to ditch it; one day you're going to need it if you send in the watch to Breitling Service for an overhaul (which should be in the near future for you).