When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Voted Against It Before I Voted Against It: Who is Blue?

bscblue

I got my teeth cut here, after being a Lurker in the Shadows and reading posts for a while, on an Air King post by World Traveller. And I did it in such way that would no doubt rankle a few people. I didn't care. That watch was and is horrific. And, like the Golden Child, I was saving him from himself! I'm from the South and my grandmother always said, "People look 10% better when they smile. A smile even makes ugly people look happier about being ugly." If this watch could smile, it wouldn't be any happier.

I decided to tell a little about myself so I won't have to live with the mantle of "Internet Tough Guy" for too long. There IS an actual person typing this. It's just that this actual person isn't Admin Harris and so I didn't write I'm Okay, You're Okay. I am not Paula Abdul, willing to clap and smile simply because you tried. I am more Laura Schlessinger and I want to you to know about the ten Stupid Things you did to ruin your wrist. wAlways thinking, What Would Simon Cowell Do?

I love watches. I always have and always will. I have no idea why. Maybe the love affair started when I turned 10 years old and my parents gave me a Mickey Mouse watch with the arms for hands. On a trip to North Carolina to visit family, he gave me that watch for my birthday and during the whole trip, when I wasn't asleep, I would watch the clock on the dash and then my eyes would flick back to the watch on my arm, almost like a race. The MM watch was a minute slower and I loved watching both change. Call me crazy!

I don't have this watch anymore but my collection is slowly building, very slowly. Slow as molasses in January. You see, I get Buyer's Remorse worse than most. So, to keep this disease from flaring up, I wait and mull things over in my mind for long periods of time. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I was given a Chopard Prince Charles on my graduation from college, I like the tonneau design a lot. My parents got me one with diamonds. I liked it, thanked them and then insisted they take that evil piece of [censored] back to where they got it. I do not believe in the diamond industry and do not wish to support them in any manner, regardless of the meatless showboating that is the Kimberly Process, which I heard touted as "laws" from a De Beers advertisement. Ha! Hand me the paper on which those ridiculous sentences are written and I'll happily wipe my ass with it. Oh, and I am not a fan of the Prince. Don't even get me started on the whole Diana/Camilla thing. Princess Di rocks. But a Prince Wales watch supports charity and charity is something Diana always liked. I feel that makes this a wash! ^_^

I don't ever wear this watch because I live in Baltimore and I like to go out and I am afraid in one of my drunken fun states, I'll lose it, damage it badly or worse. It is strictly a safe deposit box watch. It is happily living at Bank of America. I do get letters from it but it knows that we can't be together right now. I hope it understands. :lol:

I was given a vintage Explorer upon my grandfather's death about 10 years ago. I gave this watch to my sister after her graduation from high school, for sentimental reasons and to have an excuse to get me another one! I don't have pics of that watch but I know my sister took ione of it at the jeweler's before she sent it to be serviced, refinished or redialed or something. I'll hound her for it and post it anyone would like to see it.

I then purchased a replica Explorer because, let's face it, as far as money goes, this ain't a four grand watch. I don't care what anyone says, in-house movement be damned! It's a $500 watch, if it's worth a penny. Because way back when, that's what my granddaddy paid for the Explorer he left me. Thanks to inflation, greed and rising costs in Switzerland, this became a four thousand dollar watch. I don't think so. Here it is:

1995764459_c989b3f80d.jpg

I also love watches that I can't and can afford. Oftentimes, spending what I feel is an exorbitant sum on something like a wristwatch is crazy, decadent and unconscionable to me. But buying a replica of that same watch is what I call cost effective and smart, say what you will for the legality of it.

My next purchase may be a Submariner but I'm so boggled by all the nuances of that I may not get one at all or, at the very least, not any time in the forseeable future. :( Any advice is welcome on that subject. But I will definitely be getting a replica of the Blacpain Leman; the replica of that watch is super hard to find but the good thing about it is its stunning accuracy. The only way you'd be able to tell it was a replica is having a real one in your hand or taking it to a AD, that's it. It's not a popular brand to replicate and it is certainly not a brand where the accuracy would be a priority. All the more reason to have it.

Also, I like to say what I feel and I always stress honesty in what does come out of my mouth, within reason. I have a biting sense of humor and acerbic wit and am not afraid to use it. I feel with all the [censored] people hear everyday, it should be refreshing to hear what someone really means as opposed to euphemisms, sugar coated crap and outright lies.

Now sell me the Explorer I if you ever want to see your dog again.

Not quite got the hang of this ransom lark have you Nanuq? ;)

*Alaskan bank robber, waving gun in cashier's face*

"see all that cash in the vault? well this is my account no. here at branch, transfer it all NOW! And no funny business or I'll shoot..."

Great post. I too am on the hunt for a specific, hard to find rep....the Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver (so far I'm not even sure there is a rep as nobody seems to have ever seen one, but the chase is part of the fun!). Welcome to the group.

As for Rolex, I'm about to pull the trigger on a modded Yachtmaster Rolesium from bk1234. I know he also does a modded sub, bringing together the best parts of various reps. I'd do a search for his posts as the guy really knows his rollies. Forunately there are quite a few around here that have tremendous expertise on this brand and I'm sure they can give you the insight you need.

First, my sis did send me pic of that Explorer. Here it is:

2002191747_8a437f0168.jpg

Nice, no? I think whatever she decided to have done, it'll look lovely. She's got good taste and restraint, as any woman does who can have a Louis XVI chair reupholstered and not feel the need to cover it in a leopard, cheetah or zebra pattern. :g:

Thanks, Marshal! The Uyless Nardin watches are spectacular. Finding good reps of them is hard; they are either accurate or come out looking like rebadges of Vacheron Constantin watches! Does bk1234's work stand out from others? I am gonna do a search now. I may get this Sub sooner than later, if that's the case. I have no desire to do any mods to any watch myself. Period. I'm not that guy. :yuk: But I respect and bow down to those who are. I just want it done before I get it.

And that's what I can unlimited checking, Nanuq! :rofl:

There are lots of modders around here that do fantastic work (from what I've read, I've never seen their products). It seems to me that the difference is that bklm1234 offers his watches regularly (on Repgeek he has a forum called BK's Garage) whereas the other modders you have to seek out and they are more one off's.