When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SD He Escape Valve Options

Thor

Hello all. How is the escape valve on the various SD reps formed? Is it some type of spring loaded movable insert? Or, is it concentric circles etched into the side of the case? Based on the pics, it seems like the modern-style SD's have etched circles, whereas the vintage models appear to some sort of insert. If it is a movable insert, I'd be concerned about moisture getting into the case. Thanks.

Wouldn't mind knowing this myself. :mellow:

I don't own a SD rep yet but my guess is that it's not connected to the movement in any way. Probably just attached to a hole on side of the case which leads nowhere. Omega SMP rep "helium valve" is just a threaded screw which does nothing. SD rep probably uses some kind of string like you said.

So the moisture won't go inside the case through the fake helium valve. That's my uneducated guess...

My modern SD rep has a hole drilled in the case in which a simulated He valve is inserted, and yes, it looks like a potential leak, but this particular rep leaked at the stem so I never found out whether the He valve would also leak! Ironic that the SD rep is the least water-resistant rep sub.

My vintage SD from Paul has, to my great surprise, a functional He release valve! It is a little plug held in place by a flat spring inside the case and in principle it could work as a one-way valve allowing gas to escape from the watch. You can push on it from inside and it pops out just as it should.

No, I have not had an opportunity to test it.

I have Eddies TW's Best Sea Dweller. I'm not sure how the valve is done, but I can say this: It's not etched, and Big Red Joe waterproofed the watch, so I know it doesn't leak.

I have Andrews vintage DRSD, and it has a nice spring-loaded helium release valve.

It is the least water resistent of all my reps. It fogs up, even in light rain.... :p

does that vintage DR have robot watch on the back?

All of the reps i've seen it has been a piece glued into a hole all the way through the case.

Yep! Andrews Double Red Sea-Dweller is a "Robot watch" :headsetsmiley: I understand that TTK also has a similar "Robot watch" DRSD in his collection... Maybe they do not dare to write "Rolex Patent" on the back?

****2006, Invasion of the Robot watches!****

132-8459.gif

132-8460.jpg

the 'concentric' circle plug on the modern case is a sprung plug inset into a hole drilled clear through the case to the inside. The 'inner' circle can be pushed down and thus I guess, outgas any interior buildup of HE, however the design itself is flawed as it springs, inward. Pressure tested at 3-4 ATM is generally sufficient to push down on the spring and thus the case will fail at this point, every time. Not too good for a SD used in a practical sense, it's definately a looks thing, nothing more.

One could I suppose, plug the hole on the inside of this with [epoxy?] but even that would be subject to failure depending on the process and messy to boot. Welding the inside hole might seal the case, but at what price/effort? If you really want to use it for anything past simple water resistance, it would be better to to choose a model that doesn't have a CAT FLAP feature built into it.

Since I'm not working for COMEX, as long as it didn't let water/moisture in from normal usage i'd be fine. fogging up when it rains would not be cool though

Thanks L-Swiss Made-L, that is precisely the answer I was looking for. It seems 3-4 ATM is more than sufficient for the occasional soaking in the shower or while washing one's hands, or submersion in a bath . . . I hope so anyway.

Did someone say... Robot watch?

132-8461.jpg

:happy:

:lolcina: :lolcina: :lolcina:

I am just sitting here waiting for our friend Bob (nanug) to find this interesting thread :smile: ...then we will probably get some input on both the valves and on robots :rolleyes:

Regards

Gunnar :beer:

bob's bin too busy thinking of hilarious replies to concern himself with robots and the like

I just got my SD from Paul and it has a moving button for the valve, with spring back action. The finish is dull just as the genuine, and not as shiney as the case. Haven't worn it yet, so don't know if it is water resistant. It's a very nice piece. What's the best way to test for water or fogging without waition for it to rain?

it should, I always voice the advice of get the particular watch tested to be sure. It's a bit of a pain that the direction is reversed, going through all that effort, if they had it sprung outward it wouldn't be an issue, [the real HE device plug is ridiculously simple! less complex than the one in question here ... ? ]

I wonder if they are just in backwards!!!