When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Datewheel Install

drop

So I screwed-up my keyless works and managed to fix that, but now in attempt to reinstall my datewheel I'm having trouble.

The stock datewheel for my 1665 is really wide, with the impact being that I cannot get a screwdriver, pin, etc. between the wheel and the small spring. I can't get this silly thing reinstalled!!!

Any tips on getting this baby back together? I suppose I could try to cut a notch but I'm sure there is an easy way to make this happen.... so simple, but soooo frustrating!

Thank you.

The secret is this.

You first engage the wheel into the keyless works side of the movement, then on the opposite side with the date change gear and spring, you make sure the datewheel teeth are engaged into the slots in the cover.

Once you get it in this position, you have to take a 0.50mm screwdriver, and with your loupe, sight along the edge of the movement looking between the datewheel and the mainplate, what your looking for is the spring your trying to compress to get the wheel installed. Pressing on the datewheel lightly, look between the wheel and the movement, find the spring, slip your screwdriver between the two, and compress on the spring while you push the datewheel towards the movement, once the spring is out of the way, the datewheeel will slip into place.

Hard to put in words...but I hope it's clear.

RG

I made my own little tool for this:

I took a pin, bent the tip to create a small hook.

Follow the above steps as The Zigmeister stated.

But with the small hook, you can hold the spring back with one hand while carefully lining up and installing the date disc with your other hand. Again, hard to explain and visualize, but if you are already as far along in the process as it sounds, you should be able to figure out what I mean.

Thanks to both of you - I was starting from the gear side versus the stem side.... still, it was a total bear to do as I don't have a loupe. Next time I'll just buy a new, less wide datewheel! ^_^

What a project this has been - stripped the crown tube threads, popped the keyless works, busted the crown, spent weeks trying to get the markers aged appropriately, snapped the lug drill bit... learning sure is expensive and time consuming (but fun)! Couldn't have done it without you all.

Managed to avoid ruining the dome though, thanks goodness!

Final reassmbley tomorrow. Pray for me that there are no more disasters! ;)