When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a genuine speedy: would you pick a 321 or a 821?

Stephane

While looking for a Speedy here is what I received

Dear All,

I might be interested in a gen Speedy and of course look for a Lemania.

There are two "vintage" calibres the 321 (rare) and the 821 (common).

So, I have this guy proposing to get one of the 321 and the Speedy that goes with it from 1967.

Here is the mail I got

I don

Well it looks in v good nick to me, correct .321 mvmt (the newer post 1968 Speedys have the .861), pre-moon case back, 633 HELs, 1171 bracelet, applied logo.

Can't quite make out the ref no on the bridge, if you can cross-ref it on speedmaster-mission.net to ensure the mvmt matches the case back year (although it's impossible to be strictly accurate).

.321 Speedmasters were worn on the moon, if the price is right then why not get a bit of real watch history. These and the pre-moon .861s are going to rocket (pun intended) in value.

I don't know enough to tell you if it's a good one.

But those pictures remind me why I like the Speedy so much. A beautiful retro case, together with a dial that's neither too cluttered or too minimal.

It's a design that really hits my horological G-spot.

Edited by dangerman

Thanks a lot for your advices here guys.

I'd love to have this type of Speedy.

Now, I kept the info about the price hidden but it's 3.000 euros (not $) that he is looking for :o

This sounds very expensive to me, even it was a completely original watch with numbers matching and in perfect state.

What do you think ?

Cheers

Stephane

Service every 2 - 2 1/5 years isn't completely out of line for an obsessive watch nut's chrono (1 shorter exception noted)... and all of the marks, except the "most recent" appear to be in the same hand (even that one is similar... yeah, same watchmaker everytime, or??)... but there are NONE prior to 2000... meaning unserviced 33 years? or wiped out by the new watchmaker? Or since they all appear to be the same ink... buy a sharpie and mark up the case back of a really good, 'new' franken-watch to improve it's story, and try and disguise your handwriting for one of the 'service' marks when they think of it??? That and the really nasty looking 're-lume' (if it is a re-lume) and various crap 'under glass' give me pause...

I like the "maybe a meet could be arranged" ... so questions can be answered... or was that so pockets could be forcibly emptied of large amounts of cash intended for purchase?

I also like the "it