When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch to wear on a Wedding?

stagfan

On such a special occasion as your wedding, please, no sports watches. It ruins the elegance of a tuxedo.

It's time (no pun) to dress up, and your watch should be something sleek & elegant, and understatedly luxurious.

My suggestion - Cartier, Patek, some of the JLCs.

Congrats to you and your fiance.

Agree completely, but I'll add one more bit to that. Only straps. Metal bands simply do not belong with any sort of formal wear. Nothing remotely sporty...sorry V, a RO, even on a strap, simply does not belong, IMO. I know that nowadays it has become acceptable to wear Subs with suits. In fact, I'm often an offender in regards to that, especially given my recent vintage military diver and vintage sport watch binge. However, traditionally, the accepted "rule" was that one should wear a black faced, time only watch with roman numerals or stick markers when wearing a tux. The metal should match that of the cufflinks and studs you're wearing. However, a gilt or enamel dial were never considered faux pas. Personally, I stick to tradition in regards to tux attire, and wear the Chopard my grandfather gave me, which, of course, is 18K WG, time only, black face, with WG stick markers, on a shiny black croc strap.

Two thoughts here.

VC Overseas - very classy, beautiful watch.

Most importantly - it really doesn't matter anyway. Nobody will be looking at you. Nor should they be...

Congrats! Getting married to my lovely bride was the smartest move I have ever made.

-B

For the die-hards, i've actually heard that you should not wear a watch at all in evening dress, as you should be enjoying the festivities and not be concerned with the passing of time.

I believe that's going too far myself - but I do think that bracelets and evening wear should not be mixed.

Oh- have any pictures of that Chopard?

Agree completely, but I'll add one more bit to that. Only straps. Metal bands simply do not belong with any sort of formal wear. Nothing remotely sporty...sorry V, a RO, even on a strap, simply does not belong, IMO. I know that nowadays it has become acceptable to wear Subs with suits. In fact, I'm often an offender in regards to that, especially given my recent vintage military diver and vintage sport watch binge. However, traditionally, the accepted "rule" was that one should wear a black faced, time only watch with roman numerals or stick markers when wearing a tux. The metal should match that of the cufflinks and studs you're wearing. However, a gilt or enamel dial were never considered faux pas. Personally, I stick to tradition in regards to tux attire, and wear the Chopard my grandfather gave me, which, of course, is 18K WG, time only, black face, with WG stick markers, on a shiny black croc strap.

You're going to be wearing a tux, right? Ususally that would mean no watch, but if you do wear one probably be it should be something unobtrusive and on leather. Weddings and fashion are both about convention, so you can either follow it or break it. I'd say do either w/ class: Follow would be a thin dress watch on black croc--lot's of accurate reps to choose from from Omega to Patek. If you're going to break it, I like the hilarious green LV w/tux idea above.

If I were you, I'd put a gen on the credit card and then tell your fiance you're goiing to pay it off w/ all the cash you guys rake in at the reception. After all, you definitely want to start your life together on sound, debt-free financial footing.

You're going to be wearing a tux, right?

In the UK, one usually wears a morning coat/cutaway not a dinner jacket/tuxedo since it's not de rigueur to wear a tux before 6 PM.

Newformalwearbig1.jpg

If indeed it is a tux for the wedding, then Desuetude is more than ever correct. Never never anything but a watch on a strap. No Breits, Rolexes, APs.

So far, Section8 has hit the nail on the head.

EDIT: Some new suggestions given this info.

PIA007A.JPG

JL002A_1.JPG

Don't worry about strap colours. Collectors usually will change that, on request.