When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New AR Coating Service

HauteHippie

When I first started doing AR about a year ago, I had been working closely with three companies. The one company that I've used for the last year was chosen based on attention to detail, customer service, and turn around time. Until this most recent run, I have been very pleased with all my dealings, and the AR run participants have been pleased as well. However, the snafu with a handful of crystals in the previous run has really gotten under my skin. While the company has offered to recoat these crystals in the upcoming run, and to allow all crystals to cool overnight in the chamber from now on (in case the thicker crystals were retaining too much heat when exposed to the atmosphere), I still have concerns...

I've gone back to two of the companies I previously spoke with a year ago and described the situation. They are also unsure how it could happen, but felt that moisture could have been trapped on the problematic crystals. This should never occur. Well, in talking with one of the other companies for about 45 minutes about surface prep, moisture, etc, and discussing past experiences (positives and disappointments) they informed me that they've developed a process to apply the SAME Mil spec coating - FULL APERTURE. To put it another way... this will be the same high temp evaporated MIL-C-675 durable bluish coating but without lip marks. Wow! Previously the only cost effective option for avoiding lip marks were sputter coatings (different coating entirely) that, while fairly durable and attractive, are actually too hard and therefore prone to spider cracks or "crazing" over time (1-2 years). So, to be able to coat crystals with the same coating I've always used AND avoid the ~0.7mm lip marks is quite exciting... My philosophy in the past has been to use the better coating that stands up to the test of time, and live with the barely visible lip marks. But now it seems we can have our cake and eat it too. So, I hope to be offering this capability for all future runs. It is likely to mean a modest price increase and turn around time delay due to the additional prep work that will be needed, but I think we'll still find it very affordable and worth the wait.

FYI

-Chief

Thanks for the update chief, this is a great development...

So will your current run (I believe crystals are due by the 26th....I'm hoping my package gets to The Zigmeister in time to make this deadline) be using this new method/company or the old company?

deltatahoe

I'm hoping to transition to the new company at once, delta. But there are still some details to be ironed out... Deadline moved to the 10th of Dec to accommodate the few crystals needing recoating from the prior run, so this gives me some time also.

Might just have to get my 187 double coated. It's being superlumed as we speak by the master.

I really haven't been too hung up on AR, that is until I got my 111h which has stellar AR.

Price??? Turnaround time????

How hard is it to take out a crystal from a 187 and then replace it once it's been coated?

Might just have to get my 187 double coated. It's being superlumed as we speak by the master.

I really haven't been too hung up on AR, that is until I got my 111h which has stellar AR.

Price??? Turnaround time????

How hard is it to take out a crystal from a 187 and then replace it once it's been coated?

Just have the master send it to me. See if he can do it soon to get you in this run.

awesome brian,

what is the deadline on this second order? also, i love my double ARs you've done, but would be interested in having 3 of them redone without lip marks? how durable is the coating and can The Zigmeister remove them if i send him the watches?

you're always providing an amazing service for all of us!

dave ;)